Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Pads/SS/Rotors

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  tones160 
#1 ·
I decided to keep my stock rotors seeing as how I don't do track and after some research they seem to be good and will last me quite some time. However I still want to change my pads and install some stainless steel brake lines. I'm looking at the Galfer pads and lines. However I am also hearing good things about the Vesrah RJL pads. I'm sure either will be more than enough for street riding. Could I run different pads from the front and rear? Like Vesrah up front and Galfer in the rear? Or it should be the same brand? Also if I do go with the Vesrahs or Galfers, do I need to sand down my stock rotors before I put the new pads on? My bike has 11k miles currently.

#2 ·
Things Ive learned this year...

Carbon brake pads require lots of heat to work. They also require virgin surface to work best.
Regular old DOT4 fluid works the same as expensive brake fluids (but must be changed every event)
Wont matter what pads you have in the rear... if you can lock them up, thats fine.
Its never a bad idea to use 150grit to clean rotor & brake pad surfaces
Brakes work best when they are clean and fresh. Your 11,000 mile calipers need to be cleaned to the point you can eat off of them.

#3 ·
Yeah it seems the 1375 compound brake pads I was going to go for do require a lot of heat as you said. Maybe I should just replace with stock OEM pads instead seeing as how it's just a street only bike. Virgin surface? As in I should replace my rotors if I'm doing aftermarket pads? I bought some 150 grit to sand down my rotors if I do end up replacing my pads. Definitely need to clean my rotors!

#6 ·
Hmm this doesn't seem like a bad idea.. I was going to do my car calipers but ended up selling it for the bike. Now you got me thinking :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.