Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

07 R6 Fork Oil, Which one?

18K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Phantom420 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. i know this is beating a dead dog with a stick situation but i had no other option than to post a new thread. i have tried reading through other posts but couldn't get a straight answer. plus i didn't know which section to post this in, Oil or suspension section. All i basically want to know is which oil is good to change for my 2007 R6R forks. i have all the tools for the proper change. They are completely stock and will remain that way. i only do street riding. on the forum i have read that most people have gone with Maxima 5W but owners manual says Ohlins R & T43 fork oil and to top it off i see yamalube performance oil 5W. Hence whats your recommendation keeping in mind that im only using to for street ride and are OEM forks.

1) Maxima 5w
2) Ohlins R & T43 fork oil
3) yamalube performance 5w

Thanks eveyone for your input :grin:

#8 ·
This is as useful as debating which engine oil to use.
There's no harm in using any one over the other, or in another weight if you choose.
You stated you only ride street, so there's no sense spending more than you need to.
It's a maintenance thing; nothing more. Don't over think it.
What's the motivation behind changing it?

#11 ·
I'm changing it cause right side is leaking . I Don't do wheelies or stoppies that will damage the forks but the bike has 23k miles on it and the seals have small cracks around them. Almost like dry rot. I guess I was just over thinking it cause reading all the threads from other fork Oil Q&A. Thanks for the help

#12 ·
If you're under 180lbs and only riding street stick to the 5w. If you're over 180lbs you might benefit from the 7w as other have said. Either way you wont harm anything just by changing weight. If you dont like the 5w (closest to OEM spec) then change it out again and go with the 7w or vice versa.

#16 ·
Fork oil is a largely overlooked maintenance item. It does get very dirty, mostly due to springs rubbing the interior of the tube.
If you've ever watched a Dave Moss video on youtube one of first questions to damn near everyone when working on their suspension is, "How old is the fork oil?"

Here's a shot of new vs. old fork oil out of my bike with 7000 miles on the clock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.