Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Anyone on here have a good hookup with Shoei?

3K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  TurboBlew 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to purchase another Small Shoei RF-1200 in Metallic Black helmet as I love my current one. I looked on RevZilla and Cyclegear and they are going for 450$ for a flat black one, but I know that's way over priced.

#11 ·
Sorry for thread jacking, but Shoei is the best.:nocontrol:nocontrol:nocontrol

:surprise:, I haven't tried an AGV yet, so...

#24 ·
I was an Arai only snob... then I tried on some more modern helmets.

Bell fits me best at the moment. Shoeis never fit me correctly.

Its best to go to a MotoAmerica race & talk with the helmet reps from the major brands in the pits (when they have time). They will be exceptionally honest, even if you dont fit their brand. Fit is the most important.

#13 ·
Lol, It's not way overpriced. That's what they go for. Around $430 is the lowest you will see but may not include shipping. Any less than that and I would be getting written confirmation of the "born on" date. In years past I have gotten a 3 year old helmet when I thought it was a great price. Not so much when I only got 2 years out of it.

#17 ·
I once worked part time at Cyclegear. If I remember correctly, the employee discount is 10% over cost, with a max of $20 over cost. It's pretty worth it to get hired on part time to get some stuff you want for cheap. Helmets were some of the best deals. Tires dont have a big mark up so not so much savings there. Oil was almost half off.

#22 ·
that's just rules race orgs adopted. arai and shoei will tell you a helmet is good for 10 years. (read that in a magazine a few years ago) shoei's warranty is 7 years. so that's just more proof race orgs are idiots.

there are a lot of myths about helmets that have taken over the internet.
the biggest one is if you drop a helmet it's garbage. that isn't even slightly true. all it does is scuff/chip the paint. and both those companies will inspect the helmet if you're worried about it.
Agree, I dropped my favorite helmet from a 10 foot height (My elevated balcony) and i was pissed and ended it up sending it for inspection and came back with everything still within spec. It took a while to get it back but thank god it was cold weather season so it didn't bother me waiting for it back.

#23 ·
that's just rules race orgs adopted. arai and shoei will tell you a helmet is good for 10 years. (read that in a magazine a few years ago) shoei's warranty is 7 years. so that's just more proof race orgs are idiots.

just wanted to quote this for posterity. I know for a fact you are really really really brain damaged with calling "race orgs" stupid.

Been on both sides of the fence (race & corner worker)... YOU ARE A FREAKING MORON.

BTW... I buy a new helmet annually because I spend many hours riding. Street morons like yourself will never understand that.

10yr old helmet... Ive read all dumb I can handle this morning. :surprise:

#29 · (Edited)
allow me to prove how stupid you are and how much you don't know anything about this subject matter

Arai says 10 years for its helmets is a realistic time-frame for a helmet, providing you haven’t been playing head tennis with the ground.

read the article and get back to us...I'll help you out, skip down to the "myths busted" part.

How Arai Makes Motorcycle Helmets - Motorcycle USA

#25 ·
I wish I had a Shoei "hookup". I just bought an X-14. The airflow & field of vision are waaaayyyy better than my AGV (of course, it's a low-tier model). Fit & finish are top notch. I've only owned: Shoei (RF-1000 & X-14), HJC, & AGV. Of those, I prefer the Shoei fit/finish. I do have a 10yr old Shoei…..but only for memorabilia….:grin::sing

#40 ·
Dude, what helmet can be similar to the skully w/o having to put a GoPro that looks like a stuck out d**k? lol...I need to see this...if it's cheaper than the $1,500 Skully is asking for...I may wanna have a try at it too....or else im sending that shyt back. :toocool:

#39 ·
:popcorn:

#44 · (Edited)
Just so everyone is clear on the helmet "expiration date" thing:

The 5 year time frame was adopted by track day and racing organizations because the manufacturer warrants material and workmanship for a limited period. This is not to say that it will turn to powder after that time. However, if the manufacturer will only guarantee their product for a certain period the track organizations are not going to stretch that out. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Materials degrade, polymers get brittle, dirt and sweat take their toll. The time limit is probably for worst cases: left in a trailer between events getting 150*f over the summer and below freezing in the winter, never cleaned, sitting in the sun all day long, etc. Thing is, you have to take the worst case and go by that.
BTW, Shoei is 5 years from purchase or 7 from manufacture. Whichever occurs first. Same for Arai. The Snell foundation (they are the ones that test helmets) recommends 5/ 7 replacement.

#45 ·
but but Mr Evil Twin... an anonymous twit named yamahacrazy said & cited an article that said 10 YEARS!!! Not to mention calling those Orgs... STUPID!!! :surprise: This guy bought a discount R1 so he "knows" alot about the sport of motorcycling. He has literbikeatitus.

I hesitate to make fun of him... he might be bi polar or have a real mental affliction.

I worked tech for a few rounds in 2012. I got pretty good at finding the production dates. Guy walks up with a very clean Arai. Reminded me of the KR replica I had from ~2002. I look at the chin strap...then pull the liner back. The liner sticker says 1 thing... the strap date another, they were off by 9yrs. Hand it over to the lead guy he fumbles with it and hmmms & haws. The racer was kinda mad because it wouldnt pass as legal. Starts throwing a fit cursing & yelling. I thought we were gona fight over him being stupid. I still cant wrap my head around the fact he was trying to pass off an old ass helmet to race in. Heard he tried the same thing with CCS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.