Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Gas light

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jgelack 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me approximately how many miles I can go after the gas light comes on before running out? I have a 2013 R6. Thanks

#2 ·
Fill up your gas tank and reset your odometer. Ride until the light comes on and then go fill up the tank. Your tank holds 4.5 gallons total. Divide the number of miles you rode by the number of gallons you pumped in and that's your MPG which will tell you how far you can go based on how much gas you pumped in when the light came on.

#3 · (Edited)
math math...for my bike i've gone for an extra 20miles after the light comes up. Of Course that depends on your throttle position...once that light comes on...i go at 50 on a 55 so i can get the most out of my gas until next gas station or to the one i want to reach.

But to avoid all of that, i always fill up my tank when i go to places i've never been before.

#5 ·
I always was curious of this, myself. When my light comes on, I get nervous. I do some benefit runs in the summer and usually a full day of riding takes me from fill-up in the morning to the light coming on at the end of the day. I never pushed it but always just assumed that I should get to a gas station or get home. Luckily, aside from those days, I only do an hour or so at a time when I ride, so I'm always filled up when I go out.

#6 ·
There's no guessing needed. You can find out within 1-2 miles how far you can go with just one fill up when it hits reserve. Round down your MPG estimate, ride it on reserve and you can see how close you got based on how much gas you pump in (4.5 gallons max for 2013 R6). It's not rocket science.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.