Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Need help new chain and sprocket

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  tones160 
#1 ·
So I just replaced my chain and sprocket on my 05 R6 for a vortex V3 racing kit and the chain has a tight spot I still have slack on that tight spot but I'm not sure if that is something normal and it will go away as I ride the bike or is something that i should worry about, any advice?

#2 ·
Well it depends how much slack you have? Locked up links and a lot of slack can eventually cause the chain to come out of place and that would be a disastrous. Did you just buy the chain and sprocket and installed it like that? When i bought my chain that was the first thing i checked for which was very tight links..usually make sure it's lubed up would do the trick...try to get as much lube in there as possible.

Also, do you know if the tight spot is your master link? May be you over tighten it too.

#3 ·
The master link is good that's not the issue, as far as the slack is within Yamaha specified limits the tight spot has almost 1/4 on an inch more tension but still within the limit and I did made sure the chain is really lubricated actually used the thick lube that is for chains I got it from a bike shop

#6 ·
There's a possibility, of course. Before going through the hassle, try a thinner chain oil. Grab a rag and soak it with the chain oil. Then wrap the rag around the troubled link overnight. By morning time you should check and see if it penetrated into the tightened area.

#9 ·
Try what i suggested, you're better off. If that doesn't work, then send the chain back as apparently the one you received is defected. You usually see something like that when rust it's a factor, wear and tear, or bad maintenance over time.

Side note: First time doing a 520 conversion on this bike?

#12 · (Edited)
Chains come packed with grease internally, can't imagine it is a lubrication issue. I would have suggested what Turbo said but since you ruled that out...

I had a similar issue and it was due to the rear sprocket not seated flush as well as the carrier not sitting flush (replaced sprocket carrier rubbers, and made sure the sprocket was installed properly using star pattern to tighten. Also make sure there is no debris where the sprocket rests.). A tight spot as you rotate the chain around is usually caused by an eccentric pattern in the chains rotation. This is most common when the rear axle and swingarm are not aligned as Turbo mentioned. If the sprocket is not flush that high spot in the sprockets rotation will elongate the chain and cause a tight spot. Tough to see when the chain is installed but still possible if you look down the chain from the rear as you spin the wheel slowly. Worth a check.

#16 ·
OP did you inspect the chain prior to installing it on the bike? Like Flyes mentioned new chains do come pre-lubed, but i rather ask, out of curiosity.
@flyers: Chains do come pre-lubed but that doesn't mean that they've lubricated each chain link to perfection. You can't imagine how many new ordered parts i've received in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.