Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Logical progression question

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  8Ball 
#1 ·
So I have an 03 r6 that is in great condition, I've had for awhile and realy put the miles in and otheraise runs like a dream. 12000miles roughly, akropovic evo, newart tires, sliders and k&n filter. I've managed to keep it simple but I've recently gotten bitten by the track bug. All to easily ide spend 1000 plus $ modoing this bike with a power commander 5, dynojet auto tuner, and quick shifter sensor and rods. With that being said come may of next year, I'm buying an r1wither a 2016 or a 2017 and modding it. With this considered, if the r6 becomes my track bike , I guess I can justify putting more money into it but I don't know if and when my r6 is gonna get ridden over the r1 especially after getting a full akropovic system and some carbon fairings. What do you guys think? Am I looking for a justification to spend money on a bike I love or am I just trying to burn money on something that will probably only get ridden when I'm working on the r1?

#3 ·
All mods cut into a tire budget when it comes to track bikes. I tend to think of everything in tire $. For instance, a PCV would be about .8 sets of tires, so .8 tire $. An auto tuner and QS set up would be 1.5 tire $. You gotta decide how much a mod is worth to your tires budget.

Track bodywork is a bit different because it will save OEM stuff that can be sold. NRC or Woodcraft covers are in the same category because they will save you from costly repairs when (not if) you toss the bike.

#4 ·
That's just it 13 years is a long time in years but mileage wise my bikes still new and it has shown barely any signs of water. On one end I love this bike and want to ride it for ever like a classic car. On the other end that tire budget economics realy makes alot of sense. How many tires could I expect to go through a month before it equaled the cost of the parts ide put in? What's your track tire life ? I rode on my Michelin p3s I think.

#7 ·
OP...what kind of protective gear do you have?

Also what the hell is "modding"?? Are you actually making parts that increase performance or appeal? Or are you just buying & bolting on?

Also be wary of any advice from yamahacrazy. Guy doesnt have a current race number or competition license. Also has no verifiable experience of wrenching. And critical thinking is never going to be apart of his "toolbox". He is a tool that thinks he can google though.

#8 ·
Tire life is inversely proportional to speed. In the beginning, you might be able to get three weekends out of a set of PP3s, but as you progress you'll find they wot be able to last through a full two track days. As you get to "fast intermediate", you'll probably find you need to be running DOTs....which MIGHT make 2 track days. When you start moving up in the advanced group, you will find you need a set (at least a rear) every track day.

Tires are the most expensive part of track riding (whether racing or just track days)

#9 ·
Let's see if got the original RST trach tech jacket, boots, pants, and the trach tech r gloves with kangaroo. They are a little sloppy in the stitching but otherwise solid consideringredients they have saved me in two separate low-sides. Helmet wise ,I'm deciding between an rpha 11pro and an airframe pro, still rocking an icon variant.
When I say modding, for clarity I mean anything that improves the bike over its oem, and the oem fairings I have already been slid before on track. The dynojet jet parts I mentioned I chose from revzilla but have only considered since I already have the old akropovic tube a k and not air filter I just bought and have been considering a power commander for sometime.

#11 ·
I would refrain from buying any of that. Like 8ball suggested... just ride the bike with a good set of tires. The rest is "unnescessary". You dont need a quick shifter or PC5. Matter of fact... I guarantee that wont make a lick of difference in developing your riding.
Dont "over think" what you need. The bike you have is more than capable in stock form. (moreso that yamahagoof on his discount R1)

#13 ·
I'd rather track the shit out of a '03 R6 than just putter around on the street on a brand new R1.

Spend $1500 on little things for the R6 to get it ready for the track, spend that money you would have spent on a R1 on track days instead. You'll have way more fun, and you already admitted the track bug hit ya.

Reactions: TurboBlew
#17 · (Edited)
Dude if you have the money to spend on "modding" for a 2nd gen bike and not have your pockets hurting when you go through sets of tires doing track then enjoy it. My bike is mainly oem everywhere and i still have fun. I only did track 2 times this summer due to busy schedule and budget - i only bought 1 set of tires of Dunlops Q3 for my R6 this past summer. I tend to use it for street riding as well.

My point is if you got it then get it, if you don't then leave it alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.