Should I upgrade my stock brake pads? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2013 R6
Should I upgrade my stock brake pads?

I'm planning on changing out my stock brake lines in the next couple of weeks. I'm also going to be installing speed bleeders, and was wondering while I have everything apart, should I also upgrade my stock brake pads. The stock pads are pretty much brand new, only about 600 miles on them. The bike will mainly be ridden on the street, however I'm planning on doing my first Trackday this year, and if I like it, which I'm sure I will, I'll probably try to squeeze in a few more in this year. Are the stock pads ok for a novice group Trackday, or should I upgrade them now while I have the brakes apart? I you guys suggest upgrading, which pads would you recommend for both street and track? There are so many different types out there, it's a little confusing. I really appreciate any advice you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Re: Should I upgrade my stock brake pads?

not a fan of speed bleeders as they dont really help. Spend the money on a good vac pump and DOT4 fluid.

Pads are a very subjective component. Youll be fine for at least a handful of days on the stock ones.
Once your pace increases then go to a pad that's sintered. You have a handful to choose from so...

You can clean up the pads & rotors with some 150 emery cloth. Final wipe with brake cleaner. Make sure the calipers are clean & new looking.
The_Don46 likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
not a fan of speed bleeders as they dont really help. Spend the money on a good vac pump and DOT4 fluid.

Pads are a very subjective component. Youll be fine for at least a handful of days on the stock ones.
Once your pace increases then go to a pad that's sintered. You have a handful to choose from so...

You can clean up the pads & rotors with some 150 emery cloth. Final wipe with brake cleaner. Make sure the calipers are clean & new looking.
Thanks, I got the Stalhbus bleeders, I heard if Stalhbus makes them they should be good, I guess I'll see. I have a Mityvac that I've used for troubleshooting on the car, but never used it to bleed brakes. I was actually gonna use it to help get all the fluid out of the system before installing the new lines. I'm glad to hear the stock pads will work fine for Trackdays, at least until my pace picks up. Thanks again
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:00 AM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
Don't go throwing away money. Keep the stock pads for now. You won't need to upgrade for a while. They won't be the weak point in novice or intermediate class as much as the rubber lines and fluid is. Truth be told, I had no problems running 100% stock brakes into advanced class. Granted, that was on a Kawi that has probably the best stock brakes ever made up to that time.
If you really get into track time, you will be changing your pads at 50% life anyway. They are so simple to change too. It's not like you are changing your air filter and wondering if you should go ahead and change the spark plugs too. That would be a given.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Don't go throwing away money. Keep the stock pads for now. You won't need to upgrade for a while. They won't be the weak point in novice or intermediate class as much as the rubber lines and fluid is. Truth be told, I had no problems running 100% stock brakes into advanced class. Granted, that was on a Kawi that has probably the best stock brakes ever made up to that time.
If you really get into track time, you will be changing your pads at 50% life anyway. They are so simple to change too. It's not like you are changing your air filter and wondering if you should go ahead and change the spark plugs too. That would be a given.
Thanks, I will keep the stock pads for now, like you said, they are simple to change when the time comes. I imagine you can probably take the bike right to the track in stock form and be fine, especially in the novice class. I'm just trying to make a few "smart" upgrades before I do. Thanks again guys for all the advice.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgelack View Post
Thanks, I will keep the stock pads for now, like you said, they are simple to change when the time comes. I imagine you can probably take the bike right to the track in stock form and be fine, especially in the novice class. I'm just trying to make a few "smart" upgrades before I do. Thanks again guys for all the advice.
clipons and rear sets to make the bike fit you better.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Not the 120lb Japanese test rider!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
clipons and rear sets to make the bike fit you better.
Not the 120lb Japanese test rider!

Yeah I hear ya, I'm way north of 120lbs,lol
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:40 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2014 Yamaha YZF R6

Yes its a good idea since you have to break in the pads and they will be broken in with you street riding
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 AM
My R6 eats me.

Stock pads are ok for the street
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2006 Race R6

I agree with what TurboBlew said. And until you find the need to upgrade (actual need) why bother? These bikes are sold as high performance machines and they are not fitted with inferior brakes for the majority of the riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.