Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How much would it cost for me to fix this 2010 r6?

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Ragura 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a salvage bike to try to save money. I could maybe get this bike for under 1k maybe 1.5k. How much would it cost to replace the front head of the bike? From the looks of it just that front part is what is damaged. It does run and have keys.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's hard to tell what's all broken from the pics. It looks like you can get away with replacing just the front suspension, headlight assembly, fairing stay, and fairings. You can definitely get that for ~$1000-1300 on ebay. You might need a gauge cluster. It's hard to tell but the reservoir looks full still which makes me think the braking system is fine. If anything, maybe calipers and lines. The master cylinder and lever are probably fine. Clipons look salvageable but they might be a little crooked. Hopefully the rim is okay. I'd definitely would check out the radiator to make sure that isn't damaged. It's hard to think of everything but to ball park it, I'd say about $2000. So a 2010 R6 for $3500 is pretty good. Could be more, could be less. Try to get some better pics, because the forks actually don't look horrible, but they're probably trashed.

#3 ·
The seat is also sitting funny, Do they have better pictures?

#4 ·
If the forks are bent, then I wouldn't bother with it. You can come in under 4k total investment, but when you factor in the labor of reassemble, you are way over 5k. Then you still have to worry about the unknown. You can find great 08 and up r6's for around 4k online if you search for a month or two.
If you can do all the work yourself though, then it might really be worth it. IDK...

#6 ·
If you can get it for under 1k I say part it out. If the motor is still running and low miles you can get a 1k for that easy. Other than that I wouldn't trust it. That looks like the bike flipped so the sub frame is probably bent. Hopefully the steering stem isn't damaged, idk I wouldn't ride it. But you could probably part it out if you had the time to sit on it, and then maybe have a little more money towards a bike not so badly damaged.

#8 · (Edited)
assuming it only needs a nose fairing, headlights, windscreen and probably the fairing stay and some cover parts around the lights. I think you could easily fix that bike with aftermarket parts for under $500. that is if you don't mind a few things not OEM parts or mind used parts. I don't think some of the princesses on this forum would accept it not being showroom perfect. but I wouldn't give a sh it.
I've fixed my bike several times with way more damage that what that looks like.

but keep in mind someones insurance probably totalled it out. so it must have a lot of broken parts that we can't see.

#12 ·
I bought a bike with similar damage from Copart here in the U.K. I took it to Yamaha to inspect is and ended up costing me 300 to repair just needed head lights and front fairings. In the U.K. if the light stay fairing is broken, they will write the bike off as a category c but you and I both know that's a quick fix. Me personally I would buy. If it's bent forks and not worth fixing, part it out. I enjoy riding a bike that's been previously damaged because you don't feel as though you should be over careful and you enjoy it more

#14 ·
buying a bike with "no history" is always a gamble. But this bike has been dumped before evidenced by the "knock off" bodywork. That tells me all I need to know about it. Its worth $1,000 USD... give or take a few hundy.

What do you think this bike went for at auction?

#13 · (Edited)
There is never ever a over too careful. The point is to be as careful as you can be. That includes parts that will eventually save your life.

From worn tires to shakey headlight...those kind of things will not make me feel at ease which i wont really enjoy the ride. Everytime i get on any of my bikes, i always inspect it...from tire pressure to brakes and lights. You can never be too careful dude.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.