Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2014 YZF R6 Battery replacement

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  EvoTillIDie 
#1 ·
Is it a bad idea to replace my 2014 YZF R6 battery from my local Advanced Auto Parts? I m not sure if as long as it has the same specs if it will be okay.

#3 · (Edited)
dont buy a standard lead acid battery you fill with acid. they have vents and will leak. I'm not sure if the battery lays down in the 2014 but if it does stick to an AGM type battery or lithium. do not bother with gel cell or lead acid kind you have to fill. it should have came with a GS yuasa AGM type battery.
with nothing draining it sitting they shouldn't need a charge all winter (3-4 months) as their self discharge rate is very low making their shelf life over 12 months.
my GS brand battery in my old R6 honest to god lasted from 2003 to 2013 with no maintenance. on the other hand the one in my 2015 R1 already needs replaced. but that's because it's about half the size and needs to start a much stronger/larger engine.

#4 ·
Funny i was looking into this now. I bough a battery from pepboys and it was a bad idea last year...just in over 3 months of my bike being put away for the winter, it had one my terminal with nothing but dried up acid. I know i should've taken it out of the bike but i had completely forgotten to take it out.

Can someone post up a link with what you think a good battery is?

Ill buy one right now lol, im currently working on my bike and it should be ready by next weekend as soon as i install all the ordered parts.

#6 ·
Funny i was looking into this now. I bough a battery from pepboys and it was a bad idea last year...just in over 3 months of my bike being put away for the winter, it had one my terminal with nothing but dried up acid. I know i should've taken it out of the bike but i had completely forgotten to take it out.
Can someone post up a link with what you think a good battery is?
Ill buy one right now lol, im currently working on my bike and it should be ready by next weekend as soon as i install all the ordered parts.
Alien Motion Lithium Battery - LiFePo4 Lightweight Power Sports Battery

Can get a battery & proper charger under $150 all told.

#8 ·
Definitely stick to the AGM battery. Anything that comes with a bottle of acid is going to vent and or spill when the bike gets tipped over. I've had very good luck with the Lithium Iron BTL14A240C from Deltran. I think retail prices just under $110. It's been in my race bike for two years now. I just hooked it up to a charger after sitting since September and it took less than 2 minutes to get a green light. They simply don't discharge if it is disconnected.
By the way, the corrosion on battery terminals is not from leaking acid. It is a reaction to elements in the air with the hydrogen gas vented from the battery cells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.