Disconnected stator test - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 05 r6
Disconnected stator test

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. Just joined because I found a lot of useful posts that can help us fixing our bikes with no need to take to a shop, thank you guys.

Anyway, I have a charging issues with my 2005 r6. I changed the battery but still having the same problem which is a dead battery after riding, each time after fully charged. I got a new stator I thought it's what causing the problem. I saw a Video on YouTube when measuring his disconnected stator he got 0.4 ohms on the new one and 0.1 on the old one.

I did the same , I think, but both of my readings are 0 ohms. Now I don't know if it's the stator or some else. I am waiting for a new gasket to reinstall everything and start the bike.

But for now, is there any way to know that the problem is from the stator or something else while disconnected?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:10 PM
My R6 eats me.

Re: Disconnected stator test

Have you tried testing the rectifier?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I don't know how ? Just a reminder the stator is not connected now
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:06 PM
My R6 eats me.

Here's a video check it out.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thank you
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Just lean harder...

Bike: 07 R6s

First you need to check to see if any one of the 3 stator wires show any continuity to ground. If it does it's shorted to ground and is toast. Replace stator and regulator.

If it's not shorted to ground you need to start the bike with the stator upluged. You should get around 18-20 volts AC at idle across the three wires any way you test them putting the probes on wires 1&2 or 1&3 or 2&3 the voltage should go up if you rev the bike.

If the stator isn't shorted to ground and is marking AC voltage across all 3 wires but it still isn't charging replace the Voltage Regulator/Retifier.

Make sure you inspect the wires on the bike harness and of course the plugs for any burns or melting. If the wires have gotten too hot just wire the stator straight to the regulator and then the regulator straight to the battery without using the wires in the bike harness itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.