Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Cruisers and No Helmets??

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  38329 
#1 ·
I just worked a fatality accident involving a Harley rider striking the rear of an 18 wheeler. He hit the pavement pretty hard. He locked up the rear brake, high sided, struck his head on the concrete. Of course he wasn't wearing a helmet and then struck the rear of the truck's trailer. He would've been ok, but no helmet? What gives? The majority of the riders on cruisers I see are not wearing any helmets. Since that's the case, why are we sportbike riders being chastized for being reckless and riding without abandon? When most of us, at least the ones I know, ride with proper gear.:confused:

http://www.pomf.org/rideforfallen/
Check out the site and go ride for a good cause.

#3 ·
I see it all the time. I'm a police officer here in Beaumont, Texas. The worst I've seen involved a guy on a sportbike, unknown what it was due to it being demolished. He was traveling well in excess of 100 mph and hit a curb. He then flew into the air like a human torpedo into a house. He went through the outside wall, over the couple sleeping in their bed, through another interior wall, and nearly out the other side of the house. He was lying half in and out of the exterior wall. Pretty nasty. His own fault. Being stupid.

#4 ·
Yea rarely do I see dudes on cruisers with helmets, its just as dangerous for them, except for the acceleration and high speed factor (which plays a big part in a lot of motorcylce accidents) but none the less very dangerous, there is a lot of kids on bike not wearing helmets around here tho, but their riding gear consists of shorts and flip flops, maybe even a tanktop haha but people please protect your heads!

#5 ·
I live near a Military Installation, so most of the guys down here are geared up type of bike doesnt really matter much. (at LEAST helmet pants and long sleeve shirt.) But there are SOME of those friggin guys that don't gear up too. (agreeing, mostly cruiser guys/gals) But I DO see some sportbikers too.

I dunno I like my cranium how it is.

#11 ·
Rider choice bro. IMO cruisers who don't wear helmets in my book are dumb. Same goes for sportbike riders. Sportbike riders get more shit about doing more stupid things in general public probably because they do. Don't worry about the whole and focus on yourself to be safe on the road.

#12 ·
I live near the florida georgia line, and at the rest stop on the florida side bikers will pull in take off there helmets and ride off, and on the way into georgia they will go as far as pulling over at the shoulder of the road on I-95 before crossing over to put there helmet back on or do it at the rest stop thats just a half mile into georgia. At the gas station thats right on exit 1 in georgia just passed the rest stop, I have seen several bikers of both types getting tickets for no helmet.

#14 ·
Because cruisers try to live that bad ass image.You see in movies or what ever.Its the custom bikes(not just the choppers either) with skulls, flames, daggers, barbwire,dragons, & spiked billet this & that & anything else that looks evil, bad or lawless.No helmet just goes with that image.Thats my point of view anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.