Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Suspension setup!!

5K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Daredevil 
#1 ·
I got my suspension setup today on my new 08. All I can say is wow, what a difference. The bike dives into turns with ease now and just holds a nice steady line. It just feels solid! If you are in the NJ/Pa area go see Ron and John over at Washington Cycle works in Washington New Jersey, Great guys and they really know their stuff. It took about 20 minutes and cost $40.00.:werd

#4 ·
neah

i personally do nto think these are the first things people should buy. im a mediocre "A" group rider and just recently ive started to feel in a few corners that it would be nice to have one.

a proper suspension set up should get rid of 99.99 percent of head shake for the average rider. headshake is usually a result of too much weight on the bars through your hands. proper riding technique can usually make up for a damper.

#3 ·
Hey Paytheon.... I see you lurking on the R1 board a bunch. I should have my damper tomorrow and did my first oil change tonight. Is it me or do all liter bikes have the filters in the front right behind the header? Thats how i remember them all being. I was looking around my bike like a fool then Ispotted it. Behind the shift linkage?!? What the crap is it doing there?? Man did I feel stupid.:sing

#8 ·
i'll have to check them out, thats even cheaper than the dude at the track charges. what part of jersey?

i like the my GPR stabilizer just for tighter steering, i hate that loosey goosey stock steering. i like it nice and tight! i keep my GPR at between 3 and 4.and at higher speeds i'll bump it up a bit.

#10 · (Edited)
I've had a few head shakes, mostly from hitting unseen dips or bumps in the road. It always straitens out though, and I attribute it to having dialed in suspension.
Do you have a damper on your bike? If you talk with any suspension guy at the track they will tell you to dial in your suspension, but to get a stabilizer/damper on your bike as well. You look at pro rider setups and you will see every single one of them has a damper/stabilzer on their bike. Why is that? As for tank slappers, people who've never experience them might react the wrong way and have an unpleasant experience. Better safe than sorry.

#22 ·
You use your suspension every second you are on the machine. Yes, it is very much the best improvement or mod you can make.

neah

i personally do nto think these are the first things people should buy. im a mediocre "A" group rider and just recently ive started to feel in a few corners that it would be nice to have one.

a proper suspension set up should get rid of 99.99 percent of head shake for the average rider. headshake is usually a result of too much weight on the bars through your hands. proper riding technique can usually make up for a damper.
I'd say it's usually a result of improper suspension setup, followed by technique, but I'm tracking with you. Good answers! (I hate the things. Take them off to do good suspension tuning and then put them back on).

I've had a few head shakes, mostly from hitting unseen dips or bumps in the road. It always straitens out though, and I attribute it to having dialed in suspension.
Yes sir... that is what a properly suspended bike will do.The dampener helps with the excessively rough stuff, and the extremes that we will eventually encounter, but it shouldn't be counted on to cover every "on the gas" "off the gas" situation we put ourselves in.

No I don't. But I ride all loosey-goosy on the bars. You know, I try to make my bike think nobody is on it. Really helps on Scappoose Vernonia Hwy, aka bumps-from-hell road. I'll probably be getting one soon, at least before I get a pipe, PCIII and all those other "popular" mods.
"Loosey-Goosey" is good. You really don't want to start forcing things.

Smooth is fast.

Coming from Mist some of the left handers are increasing radius. Coming from Clatskanie the right handers decrease, and have sent me over the yellow.

Anyway sorry for the thread jack! Everyone should get their suspension dialed, it's the best [insert small amount of money here] you'll ever spend.
Yes. And hopefully here in a short bit I will be cross posting "how to" information on how to do it. Because it is very dynamic. But not as hard as people may think. Getting it done is good for a while, but it needs to be re-addressed from time to time because of several factors.

because they are riding their bikes at a billion times more than you or i will ever be able to. they actually NEED one. i do believe that its a good insurance policy, but people can benefit more from correct riding techniques. don't get me wrong, i want one for those little moments of oh shit, but would rather spend my 400 dollars on a track day or two b/c over all that will make me a better rider.
100% agree with everything you said!

See you all more hopefully soon!

#23 ·
Yes. And hopefully here in a short bit I will be cross posting "how to" information on how to do it. Because it is very dynamic. But not as hard as people may think. Getting it done is good for a while, but it needs to be re-addressed from time to time because of several factors.
That should be made a sticky.... I dont think you can set up your suspension by yourself though. they had me sit on the bike while they held it, had tape measures out, calculating stuff on paper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.