Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

What I did this last Sunday...

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  DamnittMOOOVE 
#1 ·
Been a long time since I posted but after reading someone's post yesterday about high siding and what causes it/what happens I now can tell anyone exactly how a high side goes since I participated in one this last Sunday. I entered a left hand corner on my formerly pristine 06 R6 Anniversary Edition at the proper speed for the turn (approximately 35 mph or under for this tight and blind corner) hit the apex and began to accelerate out when the back tire spun up in a dramatic fashion and slipped/stepped out as if on ice. I did not chop the throttle but new it was going to be impossible to really recover aside from the hand of God and I had no time for prayer. I thought I may be headed for a low side but the rear tire caught traction hard and before you could say "Oh crap!" my feet were off the pegs and I was going over the bars. The bike may have completed a half revolution in the air with a twist as it came back down on left side. I tumbled and rolled down the road and with each roll noted that my former mount was still in hot pursuit on the frame sliders. I remember each time I saw it that I hoped it would run out of momentum before I did. When all came to a rest I got up and was fine - but my bike as bleeding fuel all over the place as it had come down on the corner of the tank and had ground right through. I almost picked up the bike but so much fuel was pouring out (I had just filled it full- literally) that it would have just run down onto the headers and I would have had a BikeBQ. I was fully geared up in my Dainese two piece zipped together, Dainese back protector, Arai helmet, and Alpinstars boots and gloves - just about all of it is toast but I have not one scratch or visible bruise on my entire body - just a sprained wrist - always wear your gear! :fact and a little luck does not hurt as well.

Anyway, the fire department had to come in case of fire and the local constable showed up to survey the situation (great officer - very nice). They noted the sand and were going to call in a road cleaning crew to address it. I think the slide was about 40 to 45 feet in all which seems about right for a 35 to 40 mph get off on pavement with sliders (which did an OK job given the violence of the smack down). No ticket was issued at the scene so I am hoping not to get one in the mail as I was not squiding around and the cause of the accident was clearly sand all over the outside 1/3 of the lane of travel that was very fine and matched the road surface in color/texture so it was almost impossible to see. I also have had no tickets in 21 years (yes - I am an old guy...). Anyway, now I am just waiting for the officer's accident report so I can get things started with my insurance company. I figured damage would not be too high as it was mostly cosmetic damage - holly crap! :scared the fuel tank shell alone is $600. Well, I guess that's why I am insured. I am hoping its not a total as I really like this bike but it needs all tail plastic, all left hand upper mid and lower plastic, a new gas tank, headlights, foot peg, handlebar and clutch lever, and the swing arm to a slight grinding when the spool snapped off (purely costmetic) - looks like if all was replaced like new it would be about $3,200 in parts alone :( - I would have never guessed anywhere near that by a long shot for mostly crappy ABS plastic.

The best part was calling my wife while she was at her baby shower - nice touch I must say. She said before leaving - you need to go have some fun. Go for a ride! Famous last words :sing At least they where had just ended the shower minutes before my call. She was cool with it - just glad I was OK and the have been not requests to give up riding :love - after 13 years she's still a keeper!

See less See more
#3 ·
Damn man.. Really sorry to hear about yer accident, but nice story. Hell of a time for a wreck, during the baby shower.. ::shrug:: At least you walked away and the bike will be covered. Hope you make it back on the road soon.

Lol, best tag I've seen around here, and applies to both of us, "Ride it like the wife is at home with the kids!"
Not saying you weren't, just something I keep in mind ALL the time now.

#5 ·
bump for the gear man. from one old boy who also rides horses with a helmet on. us old guys heal slow. go ride something so it wont get in your head and you start tripping about sand invisable or not and hurting your bike or yourself. its like the horse wrecks ive had u gotta get back on pardner. good luck with your insurance co. my wife got rear ended and all i can say is i hope you dont have safeco.

#7 ·
Glad you are okay man. Quite a write up there..phew.
Do post pictures when she's all fixed up.
Ride safe.....

#13 ·
Thanks for the well wishes all. The wife has been very cool about the whole thing and has not plans to encourage the sale of the bike. She has always agreed I could just as well be taken in a crosswalk and you can't live life in bubble wrap because then your not really living - your just in storage.

I will post some pics in the next day or so. I am really hoping for no "Total" but I wont't know until after I have the accident report in hand and can file a claim. So far, it looks like about $3,200 in parts. Stay tuned for updates! :popcorn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.