Lower Front End Help - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Keep Calm and Chive On!

Lower Front End Help

Ok so I'm rather new here but I am looking for some help on lowering the front of my 03 R6. I do NOT want to change the geometry of my bike as I realize that will change my handling. I've heard lowering can mess up your bike and lead to speed wobbles - don't want that!

So, I want to lower the front for looks - I feel like the fairings don't cover enough of the forks leaving the bike open in the front. I like the look of the 2nd gen R6's lowered in the front as it closes that open space. If I lower the bike 1" - 2" in the front - will lowering the rear 1" - 2" keep the geometry and handling of the stock bike height?

Also, haven't looked into lowering too much yet so I'm not sure of the whole process. How much work is involved in lowering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 PM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6
Re: Lower Front End Help

what you're talking about will dramatically change the geometry and handling of your bike. you should leave it alone unless you're just for show.

if you're just street riding this bike, it almost doesn't matter if you lower it or not; you'll be going way too slow to notice that the bike now handles like shit. pretty much any way you do it, whether it's lowering the front, the rear or both, it's a recipe for terrible handling.

speed wobbles happen when you have too much input on the bars under hard acceleration. it's possible for a rider to tense-up and cause a head shake no matter how the bike is set up. in almost every case it's the rider, not the bike.

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68

Last edited by S3aturnR; 11-27-2012 at 07:20 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Keep Calm and Chive On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
what you're talking about will dramatically change the geometry and handling of your bike. you should leave it alone unless you're just for show.

if you're just street riding this bike, it almost doesn't matter if you lower it or not; you'll be going way too slow to notice that the bike now handles like shit. pretty much any way you do it, whether it's lowering the front, the rear or both, it's a recipe for terrible handling.

speed wobbles happen when you have too much input on the bars under hard acceleration. it's possible for a rider to tense-up and cause a head shake no matter how the bike is set up. in almost every case it's the rider, not the bike.

s3aturnr
Thanks for the info! I was thinking that may be the case - I was just hoping that if I lowered the rear the same distance as the front it would keep the geometry in tact. Guess I'll just need to refocus my efforts for other appearance mods this winter... I hate not riding.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 AM
My R6 eats me.

how the bike is set up. in almost every case it's the rider, not the bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.