Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Crash protection

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  edglenn 
#1 ·
I recently installed front and rear axle sliders and will be installing case savers in the near future. I'm still undecided about frame sliders though, as I've heard that they can sometimes do more harm than good. I was considering the Woodcraft sliders with the short pucks. What's your thoughts, should I add the Frame sliders or not. Thanks

#2 ·
It is very difficult to predict when or how that can happen though it is true that some crashes with sliders can cause more damage than without. I have done both with no shift in excess damage either way, both being low sides on a track. I currently have the Woodcraft sliders on the bike and cannot complain as of yet. Especially the ease of changing the puck out.

#4 ·
my personal thoughts;

if you're track riding this bike, case savers are a smart choice. sliders are second best. using both is being very proactive. bordering on overkill.

if you're street riding this bike, sliders love to snag on curbs. i would stop at the case savers. i always advise full coverage insurance as well. better to have them scrap the bike and start over with a new one in many street wrecks. i've seen some pretty gnarly spills on track that are fixed in time to ride last session.

it's a bit of a crap-shoot, tho...

#5 ·
not a fan of "frame sliders" at all. Even axle sliders are kind of a waste.
Unless you like thread chasing or broken bolt extractions from engine cases.
Case savers yes... most definitely. I find it ironic that case savers would likely come out unscathed from a slide but the actual fasteners & covers are 10x stronger than the tapped bosses in the cases!

Not hard to find mint condition stock parts for sale since the model has been in production over 10yrs now. :kiss:

#7 ·
I am interested in Puig pro frame sliders for my R6. But there is no single picture of these sliders installed on R6 anywhere. There is also only sketch on Puig site. I send also email to Puig if they can send me some pictures with installed sliders on R6, but they said they have none (weird company). So maybe one of you guys have these sliders and can post the picture how they look like?

#11 ·
I had frame sliders on my R6 when I slid out on a mountain run. They were the "no-drill" style from Ebay (which has an offset bracket, so you don't have to cut a hole in the plastics).
I can say several things:
1- The frame slider helped protect the bike during the initial crash. No doubt.
HOWEVER, the offset bracket was cheap aluminum pot-metal, that broke off! (It was very porous internally, upon later inspection.)
2- after the bracket broke, the bike got a lot of road rash.
3- My FULL gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots) saved my bacon. I got off lightly, with a bruised knee.

So, in MY opinion, yes, frame sliders (as well as the bar-end sliders and axle sliders I had) did a great job of protecting the bike. I am using them still. I also want case-savers.
Second, I would be careful about the "cheap" sliders on Ebay, as far as the brackets go. Probably the same for the bolts, which may break off in the engine case. (#%&$^%!!!!)
The actual Delrin material the sliders are made from is EXCELLENT!!!
It may be worth fabricating your own brackets, and just buying the sliders, and high-grade bolts.

Just my 2cents...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.