Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Mirrors suggestions!

14K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  tones160 
#1 ·
Hey y'all! I need some suggestions for replacement of my mirrors on my 2nd gen R6. Im tired of buying the led ones in the front because they keep breaking.

Anyone know of a brand i can use which are completely made out of metal just like the oem one? I like the LED signaling but after a while they keep breaking due to closing and opening after putting my bike into my driveway.

#3 ·
I went down this road before when looking to upgrade my OEM mirrors. No matter what I read and short of buying handle bar style mirrors, nothing proved better than OEM. It was either mounting issues, worse visibility (hard to believe), or vibration issues with most aftermarket brands. Your results might be different with the 2nd Gen though as your options might be broader than the 3rd gen options as far as mounting compatibility.

#19 ·
I've had a couple of sets of these. Same problems with breaking. The metal stops just before reaching the base and that's where they break off. I was rolling down the highway and just entered a construction zone (no where to pull off) when the left one fell off; only being held on by the turn sig cable.

As far as movement, take them apart and carefully file small shallow grooves in the plastic. That provides the friction that is needed without literally crushing the delicate plastics. They've held 100+ without slipping... if tight enough.

Don't expect to fold them in like OEM. Constantly loosing and tightening is not recommended.

#21 · (Edited)
Only way to know is to find out where the metal rod ends. I just assume that they're all the same. Went through three rear seats before finding one that was comparable (but still inferior) to OEM. Had to modify it to get it to latch on. For the mirrors, there's no reason they couldn't have extended that aluminum billet in the center another ten centimeters into the base mount. Manufacturer wants them to eventually break.

I liked that the turn sig shows up in the mirror. This would've been handy years back when I was a new rider. (new riders often forget to turn off the sigs - being used to the auto-off function of cars) Speaking of which, just searched for a flasher relay with self-cancelling and nothing found... not that I care at this point. But the manual implied that such a thing might exist.

As far as a retailer warranty goes on eBunk sellers, they never really stick by them over repeated and often single failures. Assuming seller doesn't disassociate every year or two by changing names, they refuse to pay for return shipping and in some cases ask that we pay to ship it out from *their* building. They often take several weeks or longer. After a third failure due to defect, had a seller (month later) intentionally send back an incompatible cheap product. Told'em they sent the "wrong" one and can't use it. Paid shipping (again) to send it back and they (month later) sent the exact same incompatible laptop power adapter back. Told'em what happened and got the same response... send it in we'll replace it. Had another seller offer up a standard radiator to replace an all-aluminum one; expecting me not to drive my car for a few weeks while I waited on warranty exchange. If you ever wonder how sellers maintain 100% and 99.1% positive feedback, I've had negative feedback up and disappear; weeks later going back to check on it. That's despite being concise, 100% factual and event-based with no charged language or expressed opinion. Anyway, I could type up another four paragraphs about experiences with junkbay; I quit dealing with them unless there's literally no other possible place to source something; and that's rare.

Experiences on Amazon, despite having some of the same sellers and products, have been remarkably better. But I no longer leave any feedback with either site. While negative feedback disappeared after some weeks with JunkBay, a post, (always factual, event-based, no charged language,) got outright changed on Amazon. So I don't bother anymore. Feedback is just a marketing tool.

#22 ·
Left one broke again. Fortunately it was in the beginning of my 100+ mile trip. I noticed looking in my left vs right mirror, excessive vibrations. It was getting so bad you had to stare at it to pick anything out. That was my warning. While riding I lifted up the rubber cover and sure enough, the plastic was fractured. I just went ahead and grabbed it, set it inside the cowling and pulled off the next exit into a fueling station. Used my pocket knife to cut the wire, placed it inside my bag and started back home.

I installed the other remaining right side mirror on the left, to replace the broken one.

After one of these fail, I'll be going back to OEM. Not buying any more. They're potentially dangerous.

I'll mount LED strips on the back of the OEM mirrors.

I might pickup another set of OEM and see about the feasibility of modifying the mirrors; transplanting the through-mirror turn sigs from the poorly designed ones, to the set of OEMs.

#25 ·
I'll give these a try. They say they fit my model but could just be trying to make a few extra sales.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR6KV9J
Needless to say, won't know whether they're any different until six to eighteen months go by and they haven't broke.

I can say that with the prior two sets, the metal ends about five centimeters after the wire's exit hole. If the same precedent exists with these and based only on the photo, that might put the metal down to the base. In terms of the movement at speed, I'll apply the same solution of filing shallow groves around the contact surfaces; enhancing friction. (possibly adding a larger washer if one isn't already supplied)

#26 ·
Dude, stay away from those mirrors! Another side broke once again like 3 days ago. I wasn't even going over 70mph.

I reached out to the seller, im so getting my money back. Put a dispute with the bank for defective goods.

Just ordered a new pair of OEM mirrors and will try to add the blinkers over the winter just as Flyers mentioned.:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

#34 ·
Sorry but i stay away from Chinese ebay sellers. If it's not shipping out of any of the States i dont want it.

1. Takes forever.

2. The quality of the merchandise is questionable.

I had ordered something before from a chinese seller, the product shipped out of Beijing, didnt receive for almost a month, once it arrived the quality was so poor it wasnt worth my time to even attempt to send it back.

So i cut my loses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.