Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

HOW TO: Coolant Flush With Pictures

114K views 79 replies 67 participants last post by  Flyers28 
#1 · (Edited)
Fairly easy job. Let's get started.

Here's what you're going to need. Basic tools, distilled water, container to catch fluids, a funnel, fresh coolant of your choice, and rags or paper towels. I use that baking pan to keep all the hardware organized. It's also nice to have your owners manual handy to reference.

First, get your bike on a level surface and allow it to cool if necessary.

Remove this panel...

...this lower cowling...

...this lower cowling and coolant resevoir cover. Reference your owners manual if you don't know the correct procedures.

Loosen the clamp screw.

Disconnect the air intake duct. This will allow access to the radiator cap.

Place a container under the bike to catch the fluids.

Remove the coolant drain bolt.

Allow coolant to drain completely. As you can see, this can get a little messy.

Loosen this hose clamp.

Disconnect hose and allow to drain.

Now to the coolant resevoir.

Get these hoses off to the side.

Remove these two bolts to remove the resevoir.

Remove resevoir cap and empty the old coolant. Rinse out a couple times with distilled water.

Run some water through while everything is disconnected. Allow to drain. Button everything back up and then fill the coolant system with distilled water. Allow the bike to run for a few minutes. I let it run until the cooling fans turn on. Shut off the bike and let it cool for a few minutes. *Tip: Do not use drinking water because it has minerals added to it for flavor. Use distilled. You can pick some up from your local grocery store.

Drain the water. *CAUTION: Be very careful as the water will be hot.

I refill the system one more time with distilled water and repeat the flush.

After you are satisfied that the system is flushed. Fill the resevoir and place back in original position.

Install drain bolt and tighten hose clamp. Replace drain bolt copper washer if necessary.

Fill with coolant of your choice. Let the bike run, re-check coolant levels and top off. *Tip: If you mix your own coolant, mix it before adding to the coolant system. This way you'll be sure of the mix that's in the system and will have extra fluid in case you need to top off in the future.

Install radiator cap and allow the bike to run. Check for leaks.

Button up your body work and you're done. Be sure to dispose of the old fluids at a proper collection site. I took mine to my local recycling center.

:toocool:

See less See more
#3 ·

Haha...this reminds me of those Calvin pissing on (insert company here) stickers.

only It's an R6 doing it.

#15 ·
#9 · (Edited)
is the R6r pretty much the same as the R6s in terms of how to do the coolant flush?

#12 ·
:yes same procedures. check your owners manual for detailed/model specific instructions. And iirc, it's R6v...

Bow to your Master! :lmao

Thank you guys for all the compliments. I'm glad to be of service to you. Also, post up any more questions, suggestions or tips you may have. :cheers

#13 ·
Im pretty sure the manual actually says to flush with tap water. So I dont think using distilled water is completely necessary, but it doesnt hurt. I think where you have to watch out with the tap water is if you use it in your coolant mix that you fill the bike with. But for just flushing it, tap water is fine.

#18 ·
do you need two bottles of engine ice or just one?

#20 ·
Just over 1 bottle of engine ice. I personally use a garden hose to flush the system out once it has been drained. While the engine is running to get all the coolant out of the lowest point. For shits and giggles, you can also take compressed air at about 20 PSI if you can seal it around the radiator cap and get a lot more of the old fluid out or even tip the bike towards the right side...

#23 ·
Thanks for the visuals. Wonder how much the dealer would charge though?

#27 ·
this helped a ton, did it in about an hour and a half. Also I believe the instructions say to leave the radiator cap on....well I would suggest taking it off while letting it drain from water pump, just from my own messing experience. Other than that perfect.

#28 ·
Yea i took mine off when it was cold, and had to wait until it cooled down to 130 degrees before removing it after running with just water. GREAT WRITE UP!

Only tip i'd add, is if you have time, don't pull the drain plug out all the way, let it drip for like 10 minutes, then pull it out. Helps keep it from spilling everywhere like it did to me the first time:lmao.

#29 ·
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.