Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

HOW TO: Audi Lights R6 Cheap & Quick

106K views 296 replies 99 participants last post by  calsg 
#1 · (Edited)
This my way on installing Audi style LED on your R6.

(latest pic 9/20/10)

Short Video of it:

It cost me $10 for 30cm LED strip on ebay. Just search it on ebay as "LED pvc strip".
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?kw=led...=p2053742.m2428.l1313.TR1.TRC0.Xled+pvc+strip

It took me 15min or lil less to install it on one headlight.

I thought it be a easy way to do it like this because I didn't want to take apart my headlights. I've done the heating headlights in oven AND heat gun before in my cars and for friends. But this way is better and easy to replace "if" the lights go bad. This is so much less hassle in installing and for future replacement.

*you can mask tape the headlight and the surroundings of the headlamp just incase you might scratch.*

1. Take out the inner foam thin strip padding on the bottom half of the headlamp with small thin flat head screw driver.
2. I've tucked in the LED strip under the light. You can use small screw driver to pry and give little bigger gap to tuck it in. Adjust to desire setting on depth.
3. Wire it to your flushmounts for running lights or signal lights. That's it!!.
You might have to extend the wires from the LED to the flushmount wires.
(if u want both running and signal light then u will have to use a 5pin relay)

More pics to come in a few min. I am writing this while I wait in line at the DMV lol!

1. Take out inner thin foam. With flat head.

2. Tuck LED strip. U can use flat head to pry a little bigger gap like pic below. The ends will be tough so u will need to pry it open a little to make it easier on tucking in the LED. I would mask the headlamp and the area you are working with. It's a 'Just in case" thing for you might slip the screw driver and scartch the lamp or paint job.

3. Wire it to your flushmounts for runnings or signal lights..FINISH!...Yup That's It!!
You might have to extend the wires from the LED to the flushmount wires.

Enjoy your sick headlamps!

This one is just the led on, no headlamp on. Yes they are really that bright.

With my 6k HID on.

See less See more
1 15
#166 ·
I rode today under all types of rain. It was my 1st time riding on the rain and wet rode. 50min on the freeway under heavy rain and splashes from trucks and cars. 10mn in city sprinkle rain. My lights are still pefectly fine. I am happy not cuz they still work fine but my splice and electical tape held up in the condition lol.

Here is proof :)

#3 ·
Up dated pics in post #1

Thanks corndog. It should be ok because its suppost to be water proof. Make sure the led is waterproof. Oh and these are "NOT SMD LED". Smd is thin and won't stay in place. You can try smd if you want.

#4 ·
Couple more pics added.

Post up if you will do this or when you do it. Other pics would be nice :) :) :)

Oh and you can tuck it on top instead of on bottom. Your prefrence. If you do that definitely post pics because I was debating to do that instead. But I chose traditional Audi.

#6 ·
yea i'm with corndog, this looks clean but how are they holding up to riding, or did you leave out some way of keeping them secure? if i end up doing this it'll be for turn signals as well probably since im planning on the projector mod

#8 ·
The LED strips don't need tape. BUT you can use some kind of double sided tape(3M).

Trust me they are on there squeezed tight by the light and the fairing. *hence* that's why u have to pry it a little open because its tough to open it on the ends.

Here is the link to the LED strips.

http://stores.ebay.com:80/Formula-J87__W0QQ_fsubZ967924011

#9 ·
#10 ·
why not just put it inside the headlight, will hold up better that way

#22 ·
Awesome. Im definitely going to try this. Ordering the lights tonight. You said you used the 30cm strip right? Ill probably just wire them to a toggle. Itll give me something to do while I wait for my full leo system and pc3.

#13 ·
#23 ·
pretty rad

#24 ·
looks nice wondering if i should try it? im really on the fence about this one i gotta see more pics.... op, so you have them as your turn signals or running lights? either way take photos at n ight from farther awaya if possible either way good thinking

#26 ·
:werd

#27 · (Edited)
Sorry I shoulda posted these also. Yes they are really bright solo!

This one is just the led on, no headlamp on. Yeah its that bright from far away!

#30 ·
I wired it to my flushmounts running lights. But I just boughttwo 5 pin relay so I can sync them with my running AND turn signal. :) :) will do that 1st thing tomorrow since its my day off.

I also will pick up my red mid fairings and red tank cover. Now my bike will look like my sig. :)

Nice work def cool mod what k hid do you have
I have DDM tuning 6k, 35watts that I picked up locally here in san diego. They are the best, 39.99$, definitely one of the best bang for the bucks$$!! Lol

#32 ·
Sweet!! Post pics up when u get it done.

#35 ·
Thanks man. Yeah its a straight up and pretty fun install just be carefull when you are pry'n and tucking in the LED because you don't wanna scatch the lens or the fairings. I have strong skinny fingers so I was able to use my hands a lot.

Green LED should be an interesting one. Dude go for it! Lol. But you can't drive or signal with that though. I wanted to go red but I don't think it be legal to have red lights up front. Or is it??.......?

#36 ·
Can you post up some pics of how you did your wiring?

#37 ·
Sorry I didn't take pics of that and I am not home where the bike is. Just T off of the flushmount wires. 1 to the ground and 1 to the running wire or signal wire. You will have to extend the wire from the LED to the flushmount wires.

#38 ·
im curious how orange the actual orange is? maybe closer to amber? im debating on whether i want to do yellow or orange as im planning on them being signals but if the orange is really orange and not closer to amber ill just stick with yellow

#42 ·
if you wait till wendnesday ill tell you... i ordered the orange ones last minute lol i actually bought them and 5 min later i wrote him and said my bad i wanted to the orange ones and i should have them tomorrow but ima be in sf so first thing wednesday ill post pics and tell you my personal opinion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.