Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Free Fender Eliminator w/Light. How To:

16K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  GuamBomb 
#1 · (Edited)

Here is my 3rd "How To:" for you guys. This is my way in making a fender eliminator with spare parts from the OEM license plate holder/rear signal lights. Some people call it "The Space Ship.' LOL! It cost me nothing and it came out pretty clean IMO.

This will cost you nothing! But if you want bright LED then its $5. I used a spare LED I had so it cost me $0. :)

This is assuming you have removed the OEM rear plate/signals already. But if you haven't it's 4 bolts under the passnger seat.

----------------------------
1. Remove the 2 RED rear reflectors that was next to the rear signal lights. Remove the brackets that is holding the reflectors. Like this:

2. Now, you can use your own bolts but I thought to make this cooler by using all spare parts. Break the reflectors apart and use the bolt and srew. You will use this to bolt the license plate on. Hammer to crack it open and then you will have to twist and cut it using a wire cutter/plyers. It should look like this:

3. Using the bolts & screws that was holding the OEM License plate holder under screw the brackets on(the brackets that was holding the red reflectors. Like this. * you can choose if you want to use the front holes or back holes.

*option* The the screws are a little long so if you want to shorten them you can use a couple of washers like this:

4. Bend your License plate to your desired angle.

5. Using the screws and bolts you broke from the red reflectors screw your license plate on. It should look like this:

TADA there is your free Fender Eliminator!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for Lights!

Option A. is the free one. I went with option B because I like the LED look but if you are in a budget Option is perfectly fine :)

You can use the OEM lights that was lighting the license plate. Remove/Take it apart. If you are going to use this then you should put the brackets for the license plate on the holes like the picture above on step 3 so you can hang the lights on the hole. here is the light that I took apart from the OEM parts.

Hook it up to the original connector inside, hang it a little through the hole and you have a plate light!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option B is the $5 one

You are going to need LED strip like this. You can purchase the 30cm LED strip through ebay and you can cut it to your desired length.

I bought my LEDs through this guy. Reliable and fast shipping:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b07ebe27

1. Screw the brackets on the back holes.

2. Drill a small hole on the plate and run the wires throught it. You don't have to but I suggest to because you want to make the wires least visble if you drill a little hole next to the LED.

3. 3M double sided tape the LEDs on the plate.

4. Run the wires through one of the holes. Neatly hide the wires.

5. Connect the wires where the OEM plate light were.

There you go!

See less See more
#7 ·
Haha thanks guys! I been told I got a creative mind that's how I come up with things like this. Many more to come :)

Very nice :cheers

Any clues as what your next home-brewed creation will be? :sing
I actually do have some home-brewed in creation. These next cpl days I will be busy so I won't have time to do them. I will jump on them when I do.

I'll give you guys a little hint..... one of them has to deal with the frame sliders. Hehe.

#4 · (Edited)
nice.

You should change your SN to "The DIY Demon":sing

#8 ·
i personally would like something a little cleaner, but for the price it looks great, and its hella creative, lol.

#11 ·
Haha. But its a free fender eliminator ;)

#13 ·
Looks good. I just took the plastic connectors out of the bottom-most part of the undertail and plate fits perfectly for those holes. Then you can buy the license plate light-bolts and put them in the bottom holes facing up. I think they're $20 at your local Cycle Gear.

I made a fiberglass plug for the hole from the spaceship.

#16 ·
Lol, I did my plate like this. The reason why I did this custom fender eliminator is because last staurday I got popped for a fix it ticket. Here in cali cops are anal and roam the streets 24/7. To top it off I live in a small town calle Ramona so I see the same cops every single day. And my bike is my daily driver.

The cop that gave me the ticket was really cool though but he just told me I need to raise my plate because when I'm sitting on the bike the mub flaps and tire blocks the plate.

So yeah that's the reason why I did this work and this thread.

#15 ·
Yall got bad luck... I just got pulled over for 86 in a 50 and didn't get a ticket. Plus I didn't have my license or proof of insurance with me, my plate is where it is in the pic, and the cop was following me for 3 miles through the desert but couldn't catch me til I stopped at the gas station cuz I didn't know he was behind me. I guess it helps to be a veteran, an MSF Instructor, wearing full leathers, and somehow radiating "you won't be picking my body up off the side of the road later as long as I can keep other people from hitting me"... *knocks on wood* I hope I can keep up this luck...

#17 ·
Not knockin the thread bro, it's a great idea. Something I would do myself. It sucks that cops are so anal about where things are placed. I even had a cop try to tell me I couldn't have bar end mirrors. "if it doesn't come from the factory, it's illegal". Yeah, that's what he told me. Buwahaha!

#18 ·
That's gaysha man lol. I didn't think u were knockin on the thread, its coo. I love my plates were I had them before I got popped for it(low). I like it low where the tail looks naked lol, but unfortunately I had to resort to this.

#20 ·
Connect it to the running light from the tail light or the original plate light.

#22 ·
Looks very clean! So are you going to keep facing like or are you going to bend it so it will be readable?

#23 ·
How would one go about bending the bracket(without weakening it), so I dont have to bend my plate.

#27 ·
haha thats awesome me and my friend ended up doing the same thing before i saw this, i just havnt got the leds on it im not crafty with wiring..:(

#28 ·
well i decided to do this to mine as well. but i will say if you are in the state of arizona i would atleast bend the plate up to make it visible. i just got pulled over 20 mins ago for the plate not being visible from the angle its sitting. all in all cop was nice and let me go with a warning :YEA

#29 ·
Haha Cool man

#31 ·
Your welcome man. I will post up for sure more ideas. Sharing is caring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.