OK, so I installed my AGG Racing smog block off's today and while I was at it...I snapped a few pics so that I could write up a detailed HOW TO on this common mod.
buy beer before proceeding with mod. BlueMoon preferably.
UPDATE 1.0 : 12.10.12
make sure you reuse the original gasket from the reeds.
1. Remove the little screws and pop out the the reeds... Like so:
2. Once you remove all the screws and reeds.... This is what you're left with:
Simply drop in it and install the block offs right over them.
BLOCK OFFs can be picked up from AGG Racing (justin) great guy.
if you have the following tools...the install will be much easier and faster...I highly recommend these.
-#5 allen for the 1/4 socket
So here we go.
You will need to remove your fuel tank, air filter, and entire airbox to gain access to the air pump. If you are not familiar on the process to remove the fuel tank and airbox assembly....let me know and ill do a seperate write up on that. This write up will begin right when you are about to remove the air pump.
1. Once you remove the air box assembly...this is what you will see. IMPORTANT NOTE: Notice the yellow marking in the center...there will be a plastic rivet located there...use a Phillips flat head and pop it out...then slide the metal plate to the right to remove the plastic cover. Once you remove those two things...the cover is held in place by pressure tabs...just pop them out
2. Once you remove the platic cover...you will see the following (the hoses will be connected to the air pump in the middle...i took the pic after removing them, lol)
Remove the hose clamps from the left and right sides of the air pump, then detach the hoses from the air pump like pictured. NOTE: Unplug the electrical harness from the air pump as well. Once you remove these three things from the air pump, you should be able to remove the air pump completely from the bike, set it aside
3. Once the air pump is out of the way...remove the two hoses that are left...my clamps were facing the radiator and I was unable to reach them...so I gave them a good tug and out they went. Notice the pale green electrical harness...you will zip tie that harness to the main harnes behind it before you tidy everything up...not now though...so leave it alone.
4. Once you remove both hoses...you can pull the black heat cover back and this is what you should see. NOTE: Notice the female plug to the left of my pinky? right below the left nipple? There is a harness that is plugged into this receiver...if you unplug this harness, it makes it ALOT easier to reach the Alen bolts on the left nipple. If you remove this harness...MAKE SURE YOU PLUG IT BACK IN BEFORE CLOSING EVERYTHING UP!
5.Remove the bolts holding down the nipples (two per nipple). I did not take a pic of the reeds after removing the nipples...but when you remove the nipples, needle nose pliers make this easier, you will expose the reeds...when you remove the reeds...this is what youre left with...
When you remove the reeds...makie sure you take everything out...here is the complete reed assembly once removed.
Top of reed:
Bottom of reed:
6. Once you remove the reeds...get your AGG Racing smog block off's, if you dont have AGG block off's...youre a douche for buying anything else. Before you install the block off's...make sure you use blue locktite on the bolts.
7. Drop the plates in and tighten the bolts down...you can snug them down and then a quarter turn and you should be fine...you have locktitie on them so dont crank them down.
8. After installing the blocks off's and tightening the bolts....zip tie the air pump plug to the main harness...like so...just so that it doesnt bang up against the radiator or hits the fans.
9. Last but not least...when you removed the air box assembly...you had to unplug an air hose that went from the air pump to the bottom of the air box...use the black plug that is provided with the block off's and plug the opening on the bottom of the air box.....like so.
10. After pluging the hole on the bottom of the airbox...start putting everything back together...youre all set to start tunning your bike correctly or to simply get rid of the "pop" when decelerating from high RPM's.
Please feel free to correct any of my steps if I screwed up.