Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How-To: 06 R6 GP Shift

43K views 42 replies 33 participants last post by  Ferentari_r6 
#1 · (Edited)
1. Remove Mid Fairing (4 allen fairing bolts and one pop rivet).

2. Remove bolt from shifter arm using a 10mm wrench. (Note that dot on shifter arm lines up with central line going across shift shaft).

3. Unbolt shifter from kickstand using 8 mm allen wrench.

4. Rotate shifter arm so it is now on the opposite side of the shift shaft (line up dot with line going across shift shaft).

5. Reinstall bolt in shifter arm and tighten using 10mm wrench.

6. Reinstall bolt into kickstand (also apply blue loctite) using allen wrench.

7. Reinstall Mid Fairing (4 allen fairing bolts and one pop rivet).

You have thus successfully converted your 06 R6 from standard shift pattern (1 down, 5 up) to a GP shift pattern (1 up, 5 down).

Difficulty: EASY
Time involved: 10-15 minutes
Tools needed: 10 mm wrench and allen wrench (8 mm and 4.5 mm), Blue Loctite

See less See more
#2 ·
I've heard a lot about this GP Shift Pattern...
But can someone explain what the point is? I understand that its 1 up and 5 down instead of 1 down and 5 up. But why do this?

#3 ·
More comfortable, easier (once you get used to it), easier shifting coming out of a turn when you are leaning/hanging through the turn since your foot is above the pedal instead of below it.

Much better....all around.

Someone else can probably chime in and provide more....I'm not a track guy.

#4 ·
Your don't have to remove the bolt from the kickstand, all i did was loosen the 10mm bolt and flip it around to the other side to give me the GP shift pattern. It took like 45 sec. it was really easy, i don't think you even have to remove the fairing and the 8mm bolt on the kickstand. But whatever works for you.

#32 ·
^^this. all i did was flip the collar around and lengthen the rod, never took anything off.

#21 ·
it's no big deal if you shift the wrong way, it will only rev your RPM higher so you'll know you went the wrong way. i had that happen the first time i changed mine to GP shift for trackday.

why do it??... like someone else said it's more comfortable when you're in a full tuck going down the straight, it helps you shift faster as well.

#10 ·
You can skip that step where you pull the shifter completely off. All you have to do is remove that screw on the top of the gear box linkage, flip it and line it up with the divit that is on the shift linkage with the line on the gear rod.
If you look at it when its normal shift it seems that they intended this to be simple so they added the divit and the line, lined up for easy changing.

Good "how to" tho. Im too lazy to add the picts!..LOL

#15 ·
iight cool thx for the replys, ya i have it lined up with the dot and line. when its on the standard side its not 100% stright up and down, its more around 11 o'clock, so i think when i move it to the right it moves to around 1 o'clock and it just makes it alittle lower for me atleast. ill try adjusting it in a different position

#17 ·
Re: Broke my bike!!!

I tried this on my 07 r6 and the arm that the bracket was clamped on slipped out. Now my bike jerks when i turn it on, it wont shift at all and its making a weird sound when i rev. Has anyboys bike done that? or does anybody have any advice on what to do?
The shift rod that is threaded on came off? If so you may just need to adjust it because you have it pushing up on the shift linkage or something.

#18 ·
It didnt come all the way out. It wiggles in place. Also when I try pushing the bike in any directon it sticks. like there is something in the way. Im thinking when I pulled the bracked off it moved the Shift arm, which moved something inside and now its not making contact. Im going to investigate more on it today and ill post an update. Thanks

#19 ·
Thanks for this! This should help me on the drag strip aswell :)

#22 ·
I did my daily riding with this yesterday for the 1st time I must say I was very comfortable. Since I only been riding for 2 1/2 months but 6,000miles in that time I thought it was a good idea to get use to it now before I got super comfy with the stock way.

You definitely shift faster with this GP style. I am sure this will help my on the drag strip next week as I will Try to attempt to beat my time in the 1/8th mile of 7.35(1st time racing). I can't wait :)

#24 ·
Agree. when I was racing trying to shift from the stock way I notice I was pulling the bike up a little trying pull the gears up fast and hard. I was causing the bike's front end to float across the track :(.... Now the GP way I can lean forward shift/kick down and keep the front of the bike down. :toocool:

#26 ·
I think it works for 06+.

#28 ·
hey guys i just did this. I finished it up and tightened the upper shift rod bolt and lined it up. I keep tightening it but theres some free play left and right (when facing front) on the actual shift mechanism. is this okay? It shifts fine on the centerstand and i cant pull the bolt off by hand

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.