How to remove controls off handle bars.. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Exclamation How to remove controls off handle bars..

so i was involved in an accident on my 2005 r6 and replacing my handlebars with vortex ones. i can install the handlebars just fine. its getting the controls off the old handle bars im having issues with. i removed the bar end on the right side (handbrake side), but the grips wont slide out and neither will the throttle control. i have also almost stripped the bar end with the hex tool on the left side because it is completely stuck and wont bother loosening up. i almost want to saw off the old handle bar on the opposite end to remove the controls on the clutch lever side because i have new handle bars. any tips? please provide me with step by step instructions on how to remove these controls with possibly pictures. this has become a bitch to do... thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: How to remove controls off handle bars..

Use an air hose to shoot air under the grip while pulling it off. Otherwise, cut the grip itself off with a knife. The rest is really straight forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Use an air hose to shoot air under the grip while pulling it off. Otherwise, cut the grip itself off with a knife. The rest is really straight forward
i can get the grips off, its taking the actual controls off of the old handle bars and placing them on the new ones im having difficulties with. the grips arent too much of a concern.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2007 r6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias05R6 View Post
i can get the grips off, its taking the actual controls off of the old handle bars and placing them on the new ones im having difficulties with. the grips arent too much of a concern.
May be a stupid question... but are you unscrewing them? My 07 controls have little posts within the control that goes into a hole in the bar. It keeps them from spinning or sliding around
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:41 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2008 R6S, 2014 Harley
Garage

As far as the bar ends go. I had the same issue with my left bar end. Had to break out the torch and put a little heat on it. Pour some water on the bar end to cool it and turn with a pipe wrench. Breaks it loose every time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:44 AM
~C@TcH mE iF U c@N~

Bike: 05 R6 - Cherry

or you can say "Open sesame!" and it comes off automatically...jk jk...when you mentioned stuck..are you able to at least rotate them? If thats the issue, a little bit of WD40 and a screw driver should do the trick....unless you already got the controls off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.