Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Ohlins 63mm damper with Graves mount?

11K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  AWilchiwsky 
#1 ·
I currently have the Ohlins top mount damper on my 09 R6, and I want to switch to the bottom mount from Graves. Does anyone know if I can use my existing 63mm damper, or do I need to buy the 68mm?

#2 ·
You might want to call Graves.

#4 ·
Called Graves, wasn't really happy with the answer. The guy said its a 5mm difference. I know this because when you subtract 63 from 68 you get 5, in fact my 3 yr old son knows this. He didn't seem sure and said to get the 68mm one. Now, I contacted Harris in England who makes a similar mount. They didn't say it wouldn't, but they didn't want to guarantee anything. This leaves me still uncertain. The cheapest vender I know of for ohlins is hard racing, and I don't know the best place to get the mount... Seems like 199 is a lot of money for a fork clamp and a bracket, but then again there's no other game in town and when you get something from graves, you know it works.

#7 ·
So the 63mm is the standard size for a top-mount Ohlins damper? I was under the impression that it was a straight swap to the different mount.

Also, I think Justin (Agg2001) should have his machine-shop buddies start making a low-mount damper bracket too.. two bills is pretty damn spendy. :nono

#8 ·
63 is the length for the top mount if you bought the kit from ohlins. Some other companies make a mount for the top that use the 68. Either will work up top.

I decided to see if I can fabricate a mount for the bottom that uses the 63mm damper. Pro-Tec fork clamp was $32 and if I fabricate a bracket, that'll beat 199 from graves. I'll let you know how it works out.

#11 ·
Did you ever get around to frabicating your bracket? Im on the same boat

#13 ·
Any pics of what you made? I want to do the same thing.

#15 ·
#20 ·
It's a pro-tek 50mm fork clamp. The metal is 3/4" steel from home depot. just put the fork clamp on, bend the metal over a screwdriver in a vice (so its slightly rounded in the bend), measure the bolts, and bolt on the stabilizer just as it was on the top mount. You may need a few washers or bolts to get the right length, but you can use most of your hardware from the top mount.

#21 ·
What ever happened to Justin fabricating these from the mount I picked up. Works perfectly and looks almost exactly like ^that guys...

#23 ·
Sounds good Steve... I was more curious then anything.

#24 ·
Text me about the new generation dampers coming out. I got u on this one bro. Make life easy, go top mount. I'm gettin em at a steal and slingin em.

Ti with the piston kit inside it already for the regular price of what I have. Yea, I'll take one. Who wants to buy my top mount. The piston kit itself was hundreds

#27 ·
Started around there, then mocked it up and marked where the hole needed to be drilled according to the amount of travel of the stabilizer, then ended up closer to an inch. The thing is, it doesn't really matter because you can move the angle of the fork clamp. It's really just a clearance issue. I will tell you that I offset the holes on the long side of the bracket so as to tilt the short side away from the steering head for clearance. Trust me, when you start doing it, it will become quite obvious.

#29 ·
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to contribute my recent experience with this topic.

I had the SD183 kit with a 63mm damper. Over the last few weekends I've been attempting to convert to the Graves mount kit. I started by simply purchasing the Graves mount kit and attempting to fit my 63mm damper to it. This didn't work for a few reasons:

- First problem was the damper bracket. The SD183 kit has a damper bracket that is to long and cause the damper to hit the gauge cluster. I contacted Ohlins usa directly and asked about this. They didn't know what size bracket I needed. Neither did Graves. After a bit of research and luck I managed to find one that fit on ebay.

- Second problem was the damper travel. No matter how I adjusted it I could not get the steering to hit to both stops without reaching the end of the damper travel. It was very close but not quite close enough. I figured this was bad as it could damage the damper if the steering is forced to one of its stops.

- Third problem was hardware. Once I had mounted the damper using only the parts and bolts supplied by Graves I found the damper was very 'floppy'. The bracket of the damper hit on the Graves mount and scratched the bracket when the steering was moved from side to side. Not good. I had to borrow the teflon washer (part #2259-01) from the SD183 kit. This eliminated much of the 'floppiness' and the damper still moved smoothly without binding.

I gave up trying to retro-fit the 63mm kit to the Graves mount kit and simply ordered a 68mm damper. I also ordered a few 2259-01 teflon washers directly from Ohlins usa so I could sell my complete SD183 kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.