Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Re-valve shock or replace?

9K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  moto1320 
#1 ·
My Honda has a Penske Triple on it and I love it. I don't think I can afford to put something like that on the R6 for a bit...maybe quite a bit as I just went back to college again.

The stock Honda rear shock is a block of wood and there is no point in working on it so I never went middle of the road. However, in reading it seems the R6 come with a shock quite a bit more capable out of the box and responsive to revalving/springing.

I know an Ohlins or Penske will be great, but can anyone weigh in on just the valve/spring kit for the stock shock? If it's just a marginal difference I will save my pennies for the better shock later.

It's tempting to try the cheaper route though since I can get the front and rear resprung, valved, and the needed service at once for about 700.00. This will be on a dedicated track bike.

#2 ·
Is the Honda also a dedicated track bike? I ask cause Penske shocks are some what universal. So u could probably get different collars for it and it'll work for the R6.

It's not cheap at all having the shock done. Race tech gets a lot of money for the job. I feel like you can get a used TTX or a new or close to new ya-606 for the cost of a race tech built shock. Dont quote me, but it's well over $500. I think it was like 1300+ or more to have them do my forks and shock.

#3 ·
Well, I looked into it and the Honda is an odd one and the required changes to adapt it to the R6 would get really close to just buying one. Most of the shock would have to go due to total length.

The Honda did double duty but is for sale. I can get the valve and spring done on the rear for about 200.00 from my suspension guy since I've spent some money with him. Your right about the Racetech prices, I'd love to give them a shot but each time I've looked into it Ohlins came in way cheaper.

I know a couple hundred bucks is really cheap, but not if it doesn't make a difference. If it'll just be a small change I figure I can put that 200 toward the 700ish I would spend getting a used Ohlins or Penske on the WERA classifieds.

#4 ·
You would never get a Honda shock to cross over to a yamaha. The internal stroke wouldn't be able to achieve what it needed to.

The stock shock can come up ok. Not for $200 and not if it is an 06/07 unit. Depending on your riding ability you may be able to get away simply with a re valve but it will probably need a piston. We ended up running a piston out of an Ohlins Indy car shock in our stock bike to get the feeling. Obviously if you can it's cheaper to buy an Ohlins or Penske. The stock shocks are very sensitive to set up as well and are time consuming to work on compared to a race shock. If I had to pick one you wouldn't have to muck around with the Penske would be it. The Ohlins is easy to work on but a narrow range of adjustment were as the Penske has a fairly wide adjustable range that works. In other words if you are out at doing track days and don't have a tech on hand to do re valves on the day go the Penske.

The front compression pistons on the R6's are probably more of a concern than the standard shocks after 08 though. A set of Racetech pistons is a must have. They give you a lot more feel and control. The rebound pistons as well but not as important as the comp.

Hope it helps

#5 ·
Thanks Kiwi, that was a huge help. Just to confirm I just got off the phone with Penske again and since the top cap is integrated on the R6 to keep it short, that requires most of the shock to be replaced. Over 650.00 just in parts.

My guy said 200.00 would do it for the rear work over. I don't really want to have to screw with it all the time though. You are right, the Penske is forgiving through such a wide range...and I like that I almost never have to seriously adjust my suspension.

I'll definitely do the Ohlins 20mil kit in the fronts and I guess I'll just sell the Penske on the Honda and pray that I find a used one for the R6. I'm just not going to have 1200.00 to drop on a new 8987 for a while.

#8 ·
If you do get the forks done do not use the Ohlins pistons. We work with the Ohlins guys over here and found the Racetech pistons are better. They have a bigger, better shape windows and give better feel. There is also a mod to the oil gallery in the compression pods to allow more flow. You bore out the gallery to 2.5mm from 2.2mm. The guys over there are probably doing that already. If they're not let me know and I can walk them through it.

#6 · (Edited)
well that's what's so nice about a R6. a lot of guys have them and you're going to be able to find parts pretty easy. but you're still going to shell out $600-800 for a used unit.

I could kick myself in the ass for not buying the tripple clicker some guy only wanted $400 for a few years ago. but it needed serviced. penske back then was rebuilding them for $125.

ok so wait a min...penske's price list is still at $125 for a shock rebuild.

http://www.penskeshocks.com/files/2011 Price List.pdf

#7 ·
The popularity of the R6 on the track is turning out to be a curse when it comes to these parts. There are so many R6 track whores that race parts hop from friend to friend or are snapped up from the NESBA/WERA classifieds like lightning. Very few have shown up for sale. Everything seems to be in abundance but high end suspension...

...and yes, you should have bought the shock for 400.00, lol.

In case I actually have to say it, if anyone reading this has parts or leads let me know.

#9 ·
I've had several shocks rebuilt with new valving, springs etc. They will work better than stock, but you'll still be a little limited in what they can do. You can certainly get a used shock for a few bucks, but you probably ought to factor in about $200 for a refresh and new spring (unless you find that special deal that is sprung properly for your weight and riding preferences).

I think the questions you will need to answer for yourself are:

• how will the bike be predominantly ridden (street/track/race)
  • how likely is it that you will change tire sizes
  • how close is the existing spring for your weight
  • what is your static and free sag
  • what number of clicks does it take to trim the machine to your liking
Knowing the answers to those questions will help you make your decision.

And +1 to what kiwi said on the fork revalves. I do about 25 a year, and most if not all riders are extremely impressed by having a suspension built and tuned for them.

#12 ·
Well, surprisingly I didn't touch a single thing at my track day. I didn't even get the basic sag/clicker set up at the track. I gave it a few sessions to see how it felt and this set of tires is wearing better than any I've ever had. I ran it by the suspension guy to confirm and he told me to roll with it. I'm just going to leave it alone until I'm outriding it. I would like a stiffer front for braking (really blowing through the travel) but it's damn good for stock. But lo and behold there sat a Penske Triple for sale on the trackside vendors table...must resist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.