Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

04 r6 engine cuts out after giving throttle?

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Kylerx7fc 
#1 ·
ok guys i have this thing going on with my bike its driving me nuts cuz i love my bike but who doesnt.... its a 2004 r6 with nothing but an fmf exhaust... the guy i baught it from was running it on partial rae gas partial pump gas.... .. and the other day i was forced to put only 93 octane in the tank to fiull it up..... ( im not sure if making this switch is the problem but its when it started....

the problem started 10 minutes after that fill up .. but hey it could just be a cowinkydink ... ... well i was going down the highway and there was a little traffic jam so once the jam was cleared i was trying to get up to highway speeds... a little faster than normal i guess...and at about half throttle the car started to sputter but then when i let off the throttle it did just fine.... so i just bareely gave it any throttle until i got off the freeway and when i went to accelerate after i got off the exit ramp... at a little less than half throttle the motor started to cut out and bog down again!!!! and than i had to give it even less throttle... and eventually got to the point where... i would accelerate up to about 10 mph and then the motor would start bogging down and just go to idle... so i would have to pull over and wait a minute... and then i would accelerate up a little bit and then the engine would bog down again!!! and i would have to pull over because it wouldnt accelerate!!! ............. when it would bog down like that.. i could give it full throttle half throttle... a little throttle and it would just bug down and then sputter a little bit like it wanted to go and then it would just bog again...

im guessing it could be something fuel related or maybe spark related... its just wierd because i wouldnt think putting 93 octane in would would mess anything up??? but it just so happened to be right after i filled up????

you guys have any input on that... kinda wierd to me... but i would like my bike to just continuously run on 93 pump gas

See less See more
#4 ·
\at about half throttle the car started to sputter but then when i let off the throttle it did just fine....
Well that could be the problem :lmao

JK A pcIII is a power commander. Check under your rear sear for something that says power commander on it. If its not there chances are you don't have one. Was the bike ever a track bike/ drag bike?

#5 ·
hahahaha i said car!!! good find man lol... thats funny.... well anyways...

no the bike does not have a power commander! ... the guy who owned it before me said he did use it as a track bike sometimes... he put a drag racing clutch in it and stuff.... what could the problem be if i dont have the power commander???

#8 ·
ive allready tried to completely switch out all the fuel... that didnt seem to help??? i just dont know what it could be its such a wierd problem.... just giving it a little throttle while im in gear an trying to roll it bogs down... BUT if im in neutral i could rev rev rev and its fine???... but i cant acctually go haha booo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.