Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd Gear Shifting Issue?

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ChiefSmokeDawg 
#1 ·
So I just bought my first R6 about 3 weeks ago. It's a 2007 R6 Blue..beautiful bike with only 5600 miles...($5200). So I've been riding it back and forth to work everyday...Got my license...did the MSF course..registered and everything. Super excited...and then about 3 days ago i notice that the when shifting from second to third, it takes me like 3-4 attempts to get in into 3rd gear. It's very resistant.. All the other gears seem fine, and while in gear, the bike is smooooooth. I don't want to jump the gun and say something is wrong with the trans. Anyone got anything?? Thanks in advanced for the input..

#3 ·
Sounds like a trans issue.. like a bent shaft..

Describe the trouble you have.. is it grinding? Can you shift clutchless? What you need to do is eliminate possibilities. If you can click through the gears clutchlessly, you know its a clutch/fork problem, if you cant.. move on.. can you (engine off) click into all of the gears (no engine torque to contend with). All of these will be diagnostically relevant..

#5 ·
The oil is great. Really clear almost like it was just changed. Here's what it does. I'll be stopped at a stop light, and when it turns green, ill go. So as Im going up the gears winding out the throttle, as soon as i go to 3rd its like something is stopping it...no gear grinding..nothing like that. Ok it feels like trying to shift into a 7th gear..After sixth when you try to push it..you can't...at all. Well thats how it feels going from second to third. I have to completely lay off the throttle, wait for the bike to slow down a little bit more, and click up like 4-5 times..and itll shift into third. Does that explain a little better?

#9 ·
The shift forks are what slide the gears together when you shift so they engage. The gears have humps on on side, and grooves on the other side. When you shift, the gears mate up, and the humps (dog teeth) engage the next gears grooves and spins that shit.

The detent spring returns the shifting mechanism to its idle position so you can continue to shift.

Many times people have trouble shifting the detent spring has broken. In 03 all the R6 transmissions and detent springs were improved making this issue happen less often. There's plenty of info you can find on the detent spring and shift forks on here. I learned it all researching the 1st generation R6 transmission troubles just in case it happened to me.

Read thru this thread. It has pics of the gears and a whole mess of info regarding the trans, etc.. There's a bunch of pics too so you can totally see the forks between the gears in one pic when the motor is hoisted up.Also you can look at online parts finders to see the parts themselves.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-how-guides/82595-how-2nd-gear-pop-out-fix.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.