Low RPM Sputtering - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2006 R6 Raven
Low RPM Sputtering

Hi all!
I'm new to this forum after purchasing a 2006 Raven. Overall the bike looked pretty good except for the fact that one fork seal was leaking a little bit, and I have been able to adjust and fix everything except for one thing and I was hoping someone could help me out.

At low RPM's (-4000) my engine kind of sputters a bit so I have to take off at much higher RPM's. I don't know if this is just characteristic of R6's/in-line fours or if it's just me. I just came from a v-twin sv650 so the difference might be what is throwing me off.

anyways, if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
-Steve

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 1999 Yamaha R6
Re: Low RPM Sputtering

I had this same problem on my 99. It actually sputtered and died while I was at an intersection and I got rear-ended (Truck just bumped my back tire). I ran some fuel cleaner through it and adjusted the low idle and it's all good now

PS nice bike
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21owner View Post
I had this same problem on my 99. It actually sputtered and died while I was at an intersection and I got rear-ended (Truck just bumped my back tire). I ran some fuel cleaner through it and adjusted the low idle and it's all good now

PS nice bike
Thanks for the advice!!! Quick question: What kind of fuel cleaner do you recommend using? and also how do you adjust the low idle on the bike? Thanks for the compliment on the bike, right now i'm looking at getting a slip-on exhaust for it looking at Leo Vince and Akropovik trying to figure out the advantages. Thanks again.
-Steve

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I eat my R6

To be honest, I don't remember the name. I know it liquid was blue and I can let you know for sure tomorrow morning. As far as adjusting the idle, on the first gens there is a knob on the right side of the bike just above the clutch cover, not too sure where it's at on an 06.

I really like the Akropovik's, Thats what I have on mine

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I eat my R6

hey bro here's the stuff that I used, worked pretty good

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 AM
190rwhp......:eek5

Bike: 2011 S1000RR, 97 CR500
Send a message via Yahoo to jwxfd

Does your 06 have any mods...i.e. exhaust? power commander/fuel controller?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig courtesy of the man himself: GIjoe007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Low RPM Sputtering

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21owner View Post
hey bro here's the stuff that I used, worked pretty good

Hey! This is SUPER helpful. I'm headed out today to go pick some up. I'll keep you posted.

-Steve
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxfd View Post
Does your 06 have any mods...i.e. exhaust? power commander/fuel controller?
Nope. My bike is pictured above, completely stock. Do you think that if i mod my bike with an exhaust and power commander that might solve some of my issues?
-Steve
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 YZF-R6 x2

my bike used to sputter a lot when i got it, real bad below 5krpm.

i had quite a bit of problems , and after getting the bike working really smooth to where u can coast around no problem in first gear at 4k rpm, no sputter
ill say you should check on all of these things, as they are pretty simple.

First run through your diagnostic mode, using the service manual (located at r6messagenet.com if u need it)and check each injector.

next, also in diag mode, play with d_01, which shows the value for your tps. just roll on and off the throttle with the bike off and look for smoothness in the numbers, especially when barely on the throttle. make sure it never jumps numbers or anything, but goes up or down smoothly depending on throttle position.

Ive always steered away from the Fuel injector cleaner things because ive had some friends with bad experiences on their cars, and i know on bikes we dont get checked for emission but still, i like the old school SeaFoam treatment. Ive used it in my car with great success using the brake booster line to inject the SeaFoam straight into my engine, and it completely smoothed out my rough idle on the R6. I just followed exact dosage on the back on the bottle after a fresh fill up at a gas station, did this for three gas tanks.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 04 R6

What rpm does your bike idle at when warmed up?

I'd give the bike a service (oil+oil filter+spark plugs) considering you'd just bought the bike. Also check the air filter.

I also bought my bike used and that was the first thing I did and I noticed a BIG difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.