Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

07 Driven Sprocket 520 Kit Issue

6K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  ╠ ΘÑË WÅ¥ ╣► 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

After installing the 520 driven kit, I noticed some jumping in the chain and sounds coming from the front sprocket. I've tried to search it up all over google but have been finding different results. Such as it is normal since there is no load on the engine and stuff. I have no binding the master link, the chain and sprockets have 0 miles on them. Here is a photo to show how it looks.

One thing I'm not sure of is the way the sprocket is supposed to face. Such has the "outdent" facing away from the engine or towards the engine. I used the stock washer from the stock sprocket. The sprocket is obviously different in sizing as the stock one was flat on both sides. to me it looks as if the nut is too close to the edge on the spline, but others have said it looks normal.

things that I have done, adjusted chain slack tightened and loosened. Checked for binding, (brand new chain as i shouldn't have to, master link for sure doesn't have any), removed all lube to get the chain moving more freely.

Here are videos that are NOT MINE but producing very similar effects.

1st vid- sound from front sprocket is VERY much the same.

at 30 sec:

2nd vid- shows how my chain jumps above and below the swing arm. but not as crazy as it does in the beginning of this vid.

any help would be appreciated. :eek:

thanks guys.

See less See more
2 2
#11 ·
that's what Driven said as well, but just seemed very weird. he said to make sure not to have the chain too tight as it will expand jsut a tad bit. and that the noise is normal since the rubber grommet inside the stock sprocket silences it.

Pretty much Corey said the same thing.

Well Dang i cant Watch the video for some reason or sorry i could've be any help to ya
no worries man. S'all good.

still gonna take it to my mechanic to double check everything.

#3 ·
The offset to the outside and the part numbers to the outside. You can't always go by the part numbers though as sometimes they are marked on the wrong side.

Yes, the chain will move around when there is no load and even when there is load it will do that. The oem sprocket has a damper on it to quiet it down. Aftermarket sprockets do not have this so they do make more noise.

When you have an issue is when you hear one "noise" per chain revolution or per sprocket revolution.

#23 ·
Sorry to thread jack... but i'm having similar issues...
Hey Corey - can you elaborate some more on the one "noise" per chain revolution? I think I am experiencing this problem after i had my rear tire replaced and put back on the bike.
Everything is lined up exactly (triple checked). There are no visible tight spots on the chain.
The only thing I haven't gotten to is checking the front sprocket. Will have time this weekend.
The one "click" noise that I have is pretty loud even under the LOR exhaust.
The vibration is bad enough where I can feel it through my boots at high speeds.

Any and all advice is welcomed on how to fix this.

#9 ·
The master link can be pressed too tight to create binding, but i never heard of backing out a master link without needing a new one.

But im sure i checked it and it was perfect. Ive loosened and tighten the slack, still no go.

#13 ·
Soo brought my bike to my local dealership. They wanted $45 to stake my front sprocket? At frst i didnt know what it was, then after they showed me, i was like $45 to do that!?

Soo my question to you all is, to i stake it in the middle of the indent? Or a corner?

Is there even a tool for this process?

#18 ·
╠ ΘÑË WÅ¥ ╣►;2316567 said:
Use a punch that is slightly smaller than the middle.

Punch diagonally, in the middle using a dead-blow mallet.

Hope that helps and saves some $$

Where can i get those fancy things? And they're called punch tools? What weight deadblow you recommend?

#19 ·
A punch set, any automotive store, home depot.

Any size dead blow is fine, you just wanna soften the blow of steel on steel, if its heavy just tap lighter, you'll see the tab start to bend when you're getting close.

But I like 32oz to 48 oz

#20 ·
╠ ΘÑË WÅ¥ ╣►;2316577 said:
A punch set, any automotive store, home depot.

Any size dead blow is fine, you just wanna soften the blow of steel on steel, if its heavy just tap lighter, you'll see the tab start to bend when you're getting close.

But I like 32oz to 48 oz

Sweet! Gonna go pick up a set today. Now, i should use the punch tool that is slightly smaller and do it diagnoly? No completely horizontal?

#26 ·
Just like you... I'm paranoid about anything thats out of the ordinary on my bike since its my daily commuter.
I plan on stripping the bike down this weekend and give her a thorough review.
Found a loose shifter bolt last night under the rubber grommet... that would have been bad.

I still think the "click" is a little concerning because its so loud. The fact that I can feel it through vibrations makes me weary.
I just hope its not a missing tooth on the front sprocket or something.

Anyone else with any thoughts as to what could be causing it?

#27 ·
It seems to me that your chain is too tight. You should be able to just be able to get the chain to touch the plastic chain guide on the bottom of the swing arm. This amount of slack should be right around 1.5" - 1.75".

Another way to see if your sprockets are lines up correctly is to sight down the chain from the back of the bike. If the offset is in the wrong direction you will see it because the chain will be swooping to one side or the other. As you can imagine the chain should run straight.

#28 ·
It seems to me that your chain is too tight. You should be able to just be able to get the chain to touch the plastic chain guide on the bottom of the swing arm. This amount of slack should be right around 1.5" - 1.75".

Another way to see if your sprockets are lines up correctly is to sight down the chain from the back of the bike. If the offset is in the wrong direction you will see it because the chain will be swooping to one side or the other. As you can imagine the chain should run straight.
^^this

I had to machine some home depot washers to go between the driveshaft and sprocket to get mine to align after replacing w/530.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.