Valve Adjustment Experience - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Valve Adjustment Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbz View Post
if you saw the bike i think youd believe its only got 10k but one of those things ya never know, i see bikes around here all the time with well under 10k miles that are 5-10 years old, i live in NY and we dont ride from October to April or so. Motor is out of the bike because im having the entire frame subframe swingarm rims and etc all powdercoated thats all, bike is absolutely mint in every way shape or form, its my second 05 R6, first one had 1800 miles on it and this bike feels just as tight overall, who knows maybe i got a fluke tighter engine but glad im getting in to do it now instead of waiting another 10k.
yes, that makes some sense. what are the valve clearance specs? if they are just on the tight side of the spec i wouldn't change any shims.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
yes, that makes some sense. what are the valve clearance specs? if they are just on the tight side of the spec i wouldn't change any shims.
Intake .13 - .20 Preferred from the Yamaha manual .15
Exhaust .23 - .30 Prefered from Yamaha manual .25

all 8 of my exhaust sides are either .203 with one being .229 tight so i'll be doing all of them.

got a few intakes that are perfect at .15 but a couple that are tight at .127 so im going to try to do them also if i can get a shim to make them be about .15. got all of the buckets and shims out and in bags labeled, gonna measure them today to determine what size i need to go with.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

this was not causing any problem.. in fact some builders will intentionally shim on the tight side of the range for better performance (but we are talking motors that are rebuilt each year).
since you have everything apart ya might as well re-shim. The steel valves on your 05 are much more durable than the TI valves of the 3rd gen motors.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.