06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
AFG
My R6 eats me.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

Hey guys,

I'm posting this seriously bummed, went all the way up to Buttonwillow last weekend and when we got there we noticed my throttle was sticking. Being a common occurrence we figured no big deal ... checked the grips for rubbing; no. Adjusted the cable; still not snapping back.

Darn, so we pulled everything apart completely, taking out the airbox and gas tank to get to the cables to make sure they weren't getting pinched or binding anywhere; nope. The cables moved perfectly freely when disconnected.

So at this point we had a few people gathered around the bike trying to help us figure out how to fix it, we noticed the pulley thing that the cables connect to (and opens up the butterfly valves in the throttle body) is not snapping back properly (barely able to move). Pictured here:

So after being totally bummed from not even getting to ride my own bike at my first track day, I just wanted to post here to see if anyone has encountered this before? (I've been searching and unable to find anything) The bike has less than 10k miles on it and is an 06. Everyone I talked to said they've heard of some fly by wire issues on the 08 r6 model, but nothing of this severity on a 06. Do you think I need to purchase a whole new throttle body? how could I fix this? Do you think I need to take it to a shop and pay a pretty penny to get it fixed?


Any help is greatly appreciated, I'll be pulling everything apart again in my garage this weekend, Thank you in advance!
AFG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
AFG
My R6 eats me.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
Re: 06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

So after some more digging around, It looks like its a throttle servo motor problem? Need to replace the whole tb?
AFG is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 AM
"The Dude abides .. "
 
MELK-MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: tampa
Posts: 4,524
Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: 06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

you can get a used set of tb on ebay for $75-150 . Nobody will sell just the servo more than likely.
And i would begin with running a diagnostic mode, checking the throttle positions while in diag mode and comparing the values displayed to the acceptable range in your manual. the tb may not be the issue.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull


Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 AM
clit commander
 
cheefar6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Polska
Posts: 1,892
Bike: 2008 YZF-R6
Re: 06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
you can get a used set of tb on ebay for $75-150 . Nobody will sell just the servo more than likely.
And i would begin with running a diagnostic mode, checking the throttle positions while in diag mode and comparing the values displayed to the acceptable range in your manual. the tb may not be the issue.
i ran into that problem with a gsxr, you cannot only buy the servo motor, even though its a completely separate assembly.

I doubt you will find a used tb for a newer style bike for under 200$ tho, we paid about 230 for an 04 gsxr.
real easy to remove the servo motor

but if that part failed the bike should throw aa code..

cheefar6 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 AM
"The Dude abides .. "
 
MELK-MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: tampa
Posts: 4,524
Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: 06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheefar6 View Post
i ran into that problem with a gsxr, you cannot only buy the servo motor, even though its a completely separate assembly.

I doubt you will find a used tb for a newer style bike for under 200$ tho, we paid about 230 for an 04 gsxr.
real easy to remove the servo motor

but if that part failed the bike should throw aa code..
one reason i love the R6 Parts-be-cheap .. I had a 05gsxr1k i raced a couple years, and likely as yours did, the secondary butterfly servo crapped out. No way can you buy just the servo, and both suzuki and yamaha only sell complete throttle bodies. BUT, the r6 tb are a dimeadozen. I have purchased 2 sets in the past 4 years, never paid more than $125. Have seen em as low as 75$. The CA models will have 2 extra vacume holes you will need to plug on the front of the set.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull


Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
AFG
My R6 eats me.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
Re: 06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
one reason i love the R6 Parts-be-cheap .. I had a 05gsxr1k i raced a couple years, and likely as yours did, the secondary butterfly servo crapped out. No way can you buy just the servo, and both suzuki and yamaha only sell complete throttle bodies. BUT, the r6 tb are a dimeadozen. I have purchased 2 sets in the past 4 years, never paid more than $125. Have seen em as low as 75$. The CA models will have 2 extra vacume holes you will need to plug on the front of the set.
It's not throwing a code , but i found a few throttle bodies on ebay from 60-125. Do i need to make sure I get a CA model?

Thanks!
AFG is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
clit commander
 
cheefar6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Polska
Posts: 1,892
Bike: 2008 YZF-R6
Re: 06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFG View Post
It's not throwing a code , but i found a few throttle bodies on ebay from 60-125. Do i need to make sure I get a CA model?

Thanks!
hmm, you are certain that its the servo motor?

its electrical so if malfunctioning or stuck, it should throw a code... key word is should haha

im just cheap and like to be certain before i buy parts, you have already lubricated the area and made sure the spring in there isnt f'd up or anything?

the CA thing is irrelevant, he only said that so you would know to PLUG the two extra holes on the CA model, if you dont you will have a air leak and the box wont pressurize correctly. i ASSUME the CA model has those holes because the connect to something for emissions purposes, if your not in cali, dont worry about it.

cheefar6 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
AFG
My R6 eats me.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
Re: 06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheefar6 View Post
hmm, you are certain that its the servo motor?

its electrical so if malfunctioning or stuck, it should throw a code... key word is should haha

im just cheap and like to be certain before i buy parts, you have already lubricated the area and made sure the spring in there isnt f'd up or anything?

the CA thing is irrelevant, he only said that so you would know to PLUG the two extra holes on the CA model, if you dont you will have a air leak and the box wont pressurize correctly. i ASSUME the CA model has those holes because the connect to something for emissions purposes, if your not in cali, dont worry about it.
Yeah No code, though I'll check again tonight. We definitely lubed it hardcore (sounds funny). Obviously I don't want to buy parts I don't need... the mechanism showed isn't snapping back properly, I was told by a couple people that a new throttle body would be the only solution, for they don't sell servo motors seperately.

If you have any experience to the contrary, please let me know. Can't even begin to tell you how dissapointed I am that I didn't get to ride my own bike on my first trackday!
AFG is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
"The Dude abides .. "
 
MELK-MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: tampa
Posts: 4,524
Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: 06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

as i stated before, you need to put the dash into "diagnostic mode".. there is a sticky post on how to do this. then use your manual to check the codes that get show, and there are about 4 that you check with the throttle closed then again OPEN. There will be a range indicated, like a number between 15-21 when closed, then 90-105 with throttle open for example..
I am not talking about a code that is showing on the dash currently, you must put the dash into diag mode.

maybe you do need throttle bodies. but before you go buying as set that is used (and not 100% sure they will be better than the ones you have) RUN THE DIAG TESTS

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull


Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 AM
clit commander
 
cheefar6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Polska
Posts: 1,892
Bike: 2008 YZF-R6
Re: 06 r6v FBW Throttle sensor blown? Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
as i stated before, you need to put the dash into "diagnostic mode".. there is a sticky post on how to do this. then use your manual to check the codes that get show, and there are about 4 that you check with the throttle closed then again OPEN. There will be a range indicated, like a number between 15-21 when closed, then 90-105 with throttle open for example..
I am not talking about a code that is showing on the dash currently, you must put the dash into diag mode.

maybe you do need throttle bodies. but before you go buying as set that is used (and not 100% sure they will be better than the ones you have) RUN THE DIAG TESTS
completely forgot about the diag mode thing, yea id honestly go through there with the manual out and check every sensor make sure everything is within spec.

sucks about your first td man, but sounds like you still got to ride a dift bike so all is good haha, itll just make the next one that much better

cheefar6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB Throttle Position Sensor Phaeax Bikes + Parts + Gear Wanted 2 06-14-2011 01:17 PM
throttle postion sensor help alexb84 Garage / Mechanical Help 7 03-11-2011 08:51 AM
WTB Throttle Position Sensor for 05 DragonkingR6 Bikes + Parts + Gear Wanted 0 07-16-2010 03:16 PM
Throttle position sensor DaRKon Garage / Mechanical Help 1 01-22-2009 06:03 PM
WTB: Throttle Position Sensor 02 R6 02BLUER6 Bikes Parts For Sale 2 01-18-2007 08:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome