Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

yamaha r6 00 conversion to 01-02 undertail!

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Kingchercules 
#1 ·
As the tittle says after some tries i did to sell my r6 and get a new one , i decided to keep my r6. I had some money so i spent em on my bike.. I bought an undertail of a R6 02 red coloured in good condition and i also bought from him the battery tray box , because it is needed in order to have a good conversion. I also need the battery of a 01 02 r6.

I am going to buy one do you have any suggestions on the battery brand name price etc.?

In order to get the old battery tray box out do i need to know any hints or something that is not very easy to haddle with ? I am not an expert , but i can take off the fairing bolts and the plastic ones. As for the battery and the wires is there something there that i need to know before i proceed?

#4 ·
i red a lot of forums about r6 00 conversion to 02 undertail etc.

So far i have undertail 02, battery tray box 02 and bought rear led lights from ebay. they look awesome hehe. So the only part missing is the battery of 01 02 r6 which is smaller than the one we have on 99-00. Was wondering if i cut the battery tray box 02 where the little battery fits so that the battery i have fits will i have any problems concerning that i will cut (kind of ) the battery tray box? How much does it cost to get a new 01-02 battery for r6?>

#5 ·
Ok guys today i finished the conversion. I have to say a couple of things to those who are about to do it. First of all It is not perfect fit not at all. Even when you get the correct battery or battery tray box etc. As far as it concerns the battery tray i had to make a drill in order to "pass" the line of the lock of rear seat. Second the electric stuff that are down the driver's seat cant get in a good place. Meaning the space is really small and you cant put them in their places ( they have a rubber thing that gets into the tray's box's places sorry i cant describe it better :/ ) So i had to put tire ups to make sure they are hold tight. Third there is an electric thing that needs to be placed in the front of the battery tray that it is tigthen some how on the front side of the tray box which i really dont know how to to tight it there. It seems that something is missing. In the old tray box it had a place in the same spot that it was holding it and it was tightend with tire ups.. Last the space under the rear seat is way smaller than the original one. BUT the bike looks damn nice ;) i ll post photos tomorrow.

#8 ·
Alright guys I can't seem to make a post myself so I'll use this one lol

I'm a bit of a noob here but I recently dropped my bike (didn't put the kickstand all the way down *sigh) so I bought new fairings for it.
Free SHIP Inj Body Fairing Kit for Yamaha YZF 600 R6 YZFR6 98 99 00 01 02 AF | eBay

My question is if it already comes with the undertail for the 01-02 model can I just buy the 01-02 taillights and wire them in or do I still need to buy the new battery tray? and if I decide not to buy the new tray can I just cut off the end part of my current tray to make the 01-02 lights fit?

Please let me know if you understand my question or if I can try to elaborate lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.