Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

mAster cylinder gone bad?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  randy 
#1 ·
just picked up a 2002 r6 on tuesday rode it all the way home and it was the smoothest ride ever. next day i ride it to work (15 highwaymiles) smooth again 8hrs later im on the expressway and my brakes start to lock up at about 70mph and i almost beef it! so i pulled over and relieved some pressure through the bleed valves got home and all was good... next day i have no brake pressure at all! i bleed and pump and bleed and pump and i cant get any pressure and the fluid in my res. doesnt even drain a bit!!! :curse anybodys 2cents are much appreciated

#2 ·
I can only give U my $.02 on that..........
The only time I have ever seen that happen is when a customer of mine had put (I don't know why) motor oil in the mas cyl, and it swelled up all the seals and they all had 2 B replaced and the lines & calipers had 2 B flushed, etc...... big bling ticket, way not cool for him -- Hope that's not the case 4 U, cuz it would totally suck, bro.

#4 ·
hey snoopy,

I recently just fixed my break problems. You can read about what I did in my thread. http://r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19210

You should start with the easiest which is a flush of the brake system. Vacuum bleeders will make this process go by a LOT faster than manual but both ways will work fine.

If the flush doesnt work, order a Master Cylinder rebuild kit and rebuild the master cylinder. It really is easier than it sounds and takes less than an hour.

To rebuild M/C, drain the resevoir and M/C. Tthen take apart the M/C, replace all the parts that come with the rebuild kit (spring, bolt, and a bunch of o rings). Put it back together, reattach resevoir, and fill/flush system with new fluid.

~randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.