Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

r6r rattling noise with acceleration, bike is slower

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Kyrul Schwantz 
#1 ·
i have a 2013 r6 with about 40k miles. I do alot of wheelies. yesterday I did a wheelie and as soon as I came down from it (not hard), the engine started making a rattling/tapping noise. the noise corresponds with the throttle. when I gas it, it goes louder and faster. but the noise is not there when it idles. it sounds like a valve is hitting but the noise seems to be coming from behind the clutch cover. also its about 5 times slower while riding, almost feels like the clutch is slipping. I did a valve adjustment a couple weeks ago and it has been running way better up until this point. i have a manual cam chain tensioner installed too. I thought maybe the cam gears skipped a tooth which would cause a valve to hit, but I pulled it all apart, and the cams and crank gears are all still aligned perfect and the chain is fine. I pulled the clutch plates out and they all look good. ive been searching through threads and found a similar case where the springs on the back of the guys clutch basket were bad. I haven't pulled my clutch basket yet bcuz I need to buy the special tool. does anyone have any ideas or opinions. im gonna post a video with the sound right now in just a minute

#6 ·
ok well i checked all the valves and almost all of the exhaust valves were out of spec.. so i changed the valve shims and torqued everything down and remeasured. cylinder 1 and 4 are still less than .05mm even after reshimming. does this meen i have bent valves?

#7 ·
I can't see how you would have bent a valve if your timing was good. You could take it apart again and try to push the valve down with your own power and that might help you see if its bent or not. I admit I don't have experience with bent valves yet. But I have done valve adjustments on my 6 and rebuild my Vmax motor/tranny twice.

Have you done a comp. test and a leak down test yet? That will tell you for sure if your valves are seating properly.

#8 ·
........... noise seems to be coming from behind the clutch cover. also its about 5 times slower while riding, almost feels like the clutch is slipping. ..............
To test a car's clutch, you'd put the front bumper up against an immovable object, put it in high gear, and slowly release the clutch as you gave it more throttle/accelerator. If the engine doesn't stall, (or takes a really long time to,) the clutch disc is slipping.

I'd imagine you could do similar with the bike.

#10 ·
Hey I'm having this exact issue with mine and trawling these threads to find out what's up.
Took my bike out for an hour, no wheelies but was giving it a real kick in the guts, all of a sudden loud as **** ticking and bogs down on revving, unridable atm.

If anyone has been through this please post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.