Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Code 19 - Sidestand Switch

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Starrider67 
#1 ·
Hi all!

2008 R6 started throwing a code 19 occasionally on start up so I jumped the wires between the switch and the connector under the seat. This didn't change anything, still getting a code 19 on occasion. Next I bought a new switch and I am still getting the code about 50% of the time I start the bike. Not sure what to check next. Sometimes the bike will start right up and sometimes I will have to turn the key on and off multiple times before it will let me start. Bike has even killed the engine a few times while riding because of code 19.

Open to any suggestions, thanks!

#3 ·
I see a lot of confusion around this.

The bike has a safety cut off circuit so that the engine cuts out when you have the bike in gear with the kickstand down. This is done by wiring the ECU to the sidestand switch and the cutoff relay.

It doesn't mean it thinks your kickstand is down. Code 19 means that your ECU can't detect the sidestand switch and cutoff relay are working properly.

Check the wiring diagram, you'll need to investigate and see where the problem is. It could be bad wiring, a bad sidestand switch (#17) or a bad cutoff relay (#14).

#4 ·
I'm actually having a similar problem with 2006 r6. I've replaced the cutoff relay, the sidestand switch, and now, have the sidestand switch jumped, still getting code 19 intermittently. Like you, mine will shutoff while riding sometimes. I plan to take it in sometime this week if I can't find a solution. I'll keep you posted if I find anything out

#6 · (Edited)
Start by grabbing a wiring diagram and a multimeter. Check the wires going from the relay to the ECU. Blue w/ Yellow and Black w/ Yellow. Check for continuity between the connections, and check the connections are firm.

Reactions: The Evil Twin
#8 · (Edited)
the clutch lever switch is part of the system too.

but the sidestand cut off system will cut the engine off when dropped into 1st gear if the wiring is bad even if you have the clutch lever pulled in. (been there done that) I had a cut wire under the rubber sheath cover. it got cut in a crash but the sheath was not damaged looking. so it is going to require you to use a multimeter set on continuity test to find the bad wire.

everyone needs to start inspecting the wiring harness. start by inspecting it by the radiator fan blades. I'm not sure if the sidestand wiring runs up through there but that harness is often cut by the fans.

#9 · (Edited)
Mine is a little different. The bike cuts in neutral and driving, but it happens sometimes a couple times a month, is an intermittent problem appears code 19. The bike cuts for 1 or 2 seconds and return to normal functioning

Hi all!

2008 R6 started throwing a code 19 occasionally on start up so I jumped the wires between the switch and the connector under the seat. This didn't change anything, still getting a code 19 on occasion. Next I bought a new switch and I am still getting the code about 50% of the time I start the bike. Not sure what to check next. Sometimes the bike will start right up and sometimes I will have to turn the key on and off multiple times before it will let me start. Bike has even killed the engine a few times while riding because of code 19.

Open to any suggestions, thanks!
@thrice822 Are you alive? Help us!
:kiss:

I have the same problem and tried the same method to fix it, but it still comes up sometimes when I turn on the bike.
Never had it turn off while I was going.. fortunately

in for a fix
@huki45 Are you alive? Help us!
:kiss:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.