Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

06 R6R coolant leak & more.

607 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DSFARGEG 
#1 ·
I just purchased a clean 06 R6R with only 2.2k miles on it.

1 - There is a coolant leak coming from between the water pump and the engine block. From what I have read a weep hole is what it will leak out of to stop it from entering another chamber that could cause complications.

With this problem can it still be ridden so long as I maintaining coolant levels? or can this lead to more serious problems down the road?

2 - I took the bike to my mechanic to do a quick safety inspection and he mentioned that the cam chain tensioner sounded a bit rough but nothing devastating. He assumes that the bike may have been used on the track and run hard for these 2k miles.

With mileage like this do you think it will last? it hasn't had any start up problems yet.

3 - The from right radiator fan has yet to activate while riding, the left fan has come on every time I get near 200 farenheit. Someone mentioned that it will only activate once it gets to a certain temp. but I would think that near 200 would do it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance to anyone that responds.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry I can only help with question no. 3

I had the same issue, and it was a missing fuse. The previous owner took the fuse from the right fan and used it on the headlights, out of an emergency I suppose.

If the fuse is OK, test the wiring with an ohm meter to see if there is continuity from the fusebox to the terminals of the fan. If the wiring is good, test the fan separately.

#4 ·
The CCT does make some noise, so unless it sounds terrible, it is likely not something to be concerned with.

Both fans should kick on simultaneously. As mentioned above, check your fuses. If all fuses look good, you can check to see if the fan is functioning by unplugging it and connecting to a 12 volt power source. If the fan doesnt kick on when powered, its dead.

Did you check the torque on the water pump drain bolt? Did you check the condition of the crush washer? If its not torqued or if the crush washer is no good, it will leak there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.