Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

09 R6 Front Brake problems

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JANU 
#1 ·
I have had my R6 in storage for a few months and start it periodically. No issues with the battery, but I noticed the other day that the front brake doesn't appear to be working at all. There is no leaks under the bike, so I can't see where it may have lost any fluid.
I was planning to to bleed the front brake to see if air got in the line but, I'm not sure what kind of brake fluid to add if it's even necessary. In the owners manual it says dot4. And the only kind of brake fluid I can find that says dot 4 is all synthetic.
I have gone through most of the threads on this forum and they seem to say use the synthetic for rebuilds. But, What did Yamaha originally use?

#2 ·
yamaha has a stock dot 4 brake fluid that works just fine. i race with it. black bottle, orange label. should be sold at most yamaha dealers.. (just one option if you have a dealer near you).

#3 ·
Thanks! I'll have to look into that tomorrow. I went to autozone yesterday and bought dot 4 brake fluid and it said synthetic. But, all their dot 4 brake fluid said synthetic. I also bought one of those one man brake bleeding kits.
I went out earlier and bled the valve closest to the hand brake brake. It had a lot of air in it. I dumped the brake fluid I got out of it back into the reservoir but didn't add any other brake fluid to it. It's obvious that the brake fluid level is low but there is no noticeable leaks. Is it possible that it's just breaking down? There has never been any work done on the brakes previously. Just normal maintenance.

#4 ·
how worn are your brake pads? as pads wear, the fluid level goes down in the cup because the caliper pistons move out.. Do not overfill the fluid cup. if the fluid heats up a bit, and the cup is too full, the brakes can lock up.

#7 ·
That's what is really puzzled me. I know that it's a closed system. but.. with no noticeable leaks. I'm not sure where the fluid went. It had to go somewhere. I bled the top by the handbrake. After I got some of the air out the brakes seemed to go back to normal. The brake pads don't look really worn or anything.
And the bike is stored in a garage so nobody has messed with it
Really strange.. I haven't messed with anymore since it's raining. And work has been dominating my free time..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.