Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2007 R6 will not idle

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  cmdawson 
#1 ·
I have searched the forums for this and can't seem to find someone with this exact problem that has had an answer. I just bought a 2007 R6 with 30k miles. I'm pretty new to the motorcycle world but the bike will start up when its cold and idle for maybe 1-2 minutes before it shuts off. After it shuts off it will crank and run but when you let off the throttle it drops to <1k rpms and shuts off. If you keep playing with the throttle on rare occasion it will start to idle again. I have a rather low budget so I'm trying to avoid a mechanic. Plugs? Coils? TPS seems clean but I'm not sure.

#2 ·
at 30k miles the next question is have you had your valves checked? If you have no way of contacting the seller again, I would assume they were not checked at the 26k mile service interval. That is where I would start.

Unless you are mechanically inclined a mechanic is unavoidable here.

#7 ·
step one: download or buy a manual. You want to save money by not f-ing something up trying to DIY? get a manual.

checking valves is EASY, adjusting valves.. not so much. Checking em is where you should start. Remove tank, airbox, move hoses and lines out of the way, get the valve cover off.. and there it is. Just bump the starter till each set of cam lobes are parallel to the cylinder head (the high spot is not pointing down) and use feeler gauges to check clearance between the bucket and the cam lobe.

change the plugs while doing this !!! Do not waste money on expensive IR plugs, just get standard ngk cr10ek plugs

#8 ·
So I took the bike to the shop and without measuring he seems to think the problem is not with the valves at all. He seems to think the issue is with the valve bodies or maybe the tps. Any thoughts? If this is it I know where I can pick up a complete valve body assembly with injectors and everything for >$100 from a low mileage bike.

#13 ·
Unless you have solid proof from the previous owner they were checked recently, step one should be checking the valves because the bike is overdue at 30,000 miles anyway.

If your mechanic is confident he knows what the problem is and he can fix it, by all means, have him fix it. If he is just guessing, be very careful, they can expensive quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.