Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Did I kill my Stator?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SouthWestR6 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I'd like to start out by saying I'm a complete newb to my R6 and riding in general. This is my first bike and this is the first time I have worked on it. . .

. . .That being said I picked up my 08 R6 in September of last year and (wait for it...) I dropped it in my garage in early December. When it fell over it put a pretty big crack in the Stator Cover and it also lost a bit of oil. I finally had some spare $ so I picked up a WoodCraft cover last week and attempted the job earlier today.

I was able to get 2 of the 3 hex screws that hold the stator in the case out without issue, but the 3rd hex screw stripped and in my attempts to remove it I accidentally jammed a flathead screwdriver into one of the copper coils. I used a dremel tool to cut into the head of the screw and then used a flat head with a hammer to knock at the screw and well... you get the rest :/

I DID succeed in removing the screw but now I don't know if the stator needs to be replaced? The cooper coil does not appear to be broken completely through, but it is definitely dented at best. Do I need to purchase a whole new stator assembly? Or will this one still do the job?

I am leaning towards just getting a new OEM stator just to be on the safe side, but at the cheapest shipped price (that I could find) of $202 I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask around and see if I'm overreacting or not? Anyone else ever have a smililar issue? Any thoughts / input would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
First of all, you can get a new stator for $192 from partsfish.com (pic attached)

Second, if you damaged the varnish insulation, that needs to be repaired. If it is just bent, you are fine. If it is nicked, you need to consider repairing or replacing it.

Third, use blue locktite to put the screws back in, and you might want to get an impact screwdriver (pic attached). That would have avoided all of this.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
@pbnut I did take some pics but they aren't the greatest quality and it's kind of hard to see the damage. The wire doesn't look severed to me but I could be wrong. I'll try to post the picture now.
@8Ball with shipping, the stator on partsfish comes out to just over $204. I checked just about every place I could find and the cheapest was yamahapartsmonster.com. Their price is $191.19 shipped, and that will include new internal hardware. The place I initially checked for $202 had some pretty shady reviews lol so I kept looking.

Probably a dumb question but... What's the varnish insulation? I'm guessing it's that thin coating between the coils and the stator itself? I don't think that was damaged at all if that's what the varnish insulation is. If it is damaged though, how would I repair it? Or is that something I would have to take it to a shop for?

I have some loctite in the garage I just don't remember if it's the blue or the red, now that I know it needs to be the blue though I'll definitely double check. I will DEFINITELY be picking up one of those impact screwdrivers this week. I wish I would have just taken the time to look for one before all of this *FML* that's what I get for getting too excited and rushing into the job :/

Thanks again for your input gentlemen !

*edit* pictures appeared to upload from my mobile device but didn't show up in the posting. I attempted to upload from the desktop and it's asking for a URL?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.