Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Is full throttle operation bad during break in ?

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  16bananaha 
#1 ·
I recently did my first break in ride on my r6. After warming the bike up, I think it was about 174 when I got on. I rode softly for about a mile and a half or so, pulled over, shut off the bike and rechecked the oil level. Everything looked fine. I then proceeded to the highway, since it was early in the morning and traffic was light. I rode 10 miles varying my rpms between about 5 & 8k, it did not want to go over manufacturers recommendation, but I wanted to make sure I put a load on the rings to get a good seal. I got to about 35 mph,then did 3/4 to full throttle pulls up to 65 mph in mostly 3rd & 4th gear, then immediately closed the throttle and engine braked back down to 35 mph. I did this as many times as I could for those 10 miles. After this, I pulled off the highway, shut the bike down for about a half hour to let the heat in the engine stabilize, then proceeded to do the same thing on the trip back home. By the time I got home, the bike had 21.5 miles on it. While the bike was still warm, I changed the oil to get rid of any metal bits it. I really wanted to do a hard break in,but also didn't want to totally ignore the manufacturers recommendation. I figured this would be a good compromise. Now after the fact, I'm getting a little bit paranoid and wondering if I did any harm. The bike seems to be running fine. What do you guys think?

#3 ·
^ +1 to FZ1guy's comment. Dont go too soft on the bike either. Break that baby in but dont over do it either. Unfortunately all of my bikes have been preowned, but when i purchased my last car i had to break the engine in and im sure i stepped on that bad boy like theres no tomorrow haha..if u baby it, im afraid they wont be up to the task when u really want to go all in for it.

#5 ·
It doesn't make sense that they run it in hard straight off the assembly line, then tell you to baby it for 500 miles.

My personal theory is that they just want you to take it slow because it's a new-to-you bike and not hit the powerband right into a tree when you ride it off the lot.

FWIW, I just bought a brand new 2016 truck, in the owner's manual it said there was no special break in procedure needed.

#6 ·
I'm just not sure what Yamaha means when they say no PROLONGED full throttle operation during break in. I did go full throttle from 35 to 65 mph ( 5-8K rpms) several times, but immediately closed the throttle upon reaching 65, then just engine braked back down to 35. Is that considered prolonged? I would think they mean pinning the throttle for a "sustained" amount of time, maybe climbing up near redline. Also does Anyone know if Yamaha pre runs all their engines or do they just pick samples out of each batch to test? I think I just gotta stop worrying so much, lol!

#9 ·
I spoke to mechanic about just this. We were talking about Daytona and he said that break in is more about making sure engine doesn't have catastrophic failure leading to wreck. He said if it's held together after 20 miles then ride it as you normally ride.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#10 ·
my new R1 manual says to avoid prolonged operation above 7000 for 600 miles and above 8400 to 1000 miles.
not that you shouldn't or can't go beyond it. just to basically avoid running it at that rpm for long periods of time.
much different approach than I recall the R6 manual said.

I don't baby an engine but I also do not abuse it. I'm just stubborn I guess because this is how I grew up doing things from advice I got in various publications and it's always done me right. so that's what I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.