Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Headlight assembly screws

9K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Flyers28 
#1 ·
this is something that has been bugging me. I'm about to install a new headlight assembly on my 2008 R6 and I'm missing the main mounting screws. Forgive me I don't have pics right now as this is a spontaneous post at 4 am but it's the four main screws that go through the large rubber grommets attached to the front fairing stay and screw into the back of the headlight assembly. Mine are all broke, snapped in half. Talk about shitty roads. I've had 3 sets of eyes look at Yamahas parts diagrams trying to track down these screws but I haven't had any luck. It's confusing and none of us have actually seen the screws on the diagram. Any help would be appreciated

#3 ·
That's actually what I bought but they were the wrong ones. At least I'm pretty sure they were. Could you do me a favor and tell me how long your screws are? The ones I'm looking for? I bought 4 of #9 but they looked too short so I got a return on them there at the dealership but maybe they weren't

#9 · (Edited)
Yea the rubber grommets go through the metal brackets on the Front stay (The part that holds the console and mirrors), then there are little pegs that fit through the grommets and those screws hold it in place. They do have washers. I pulled the wrong screw in the picture in the previous post, but the length is the same, still 5/8". I took a few more photos of the grommets, screw with washer and where they mount on the headlight assembly so we are both on the same page.

Attachments

#11 ·
They are molded plastic on the headlight assembly that the screw threads into, did they break off? Without those there is no where for the screw to thread into so not sure how you will get by. I can't even think of a way to fabricate anything that has the strength to hold the assembly up over time. You might have to start looking at used headlight assemblies as a solution.

#12 ·
Okay, I've got everything figured out. the headlight assembly I had on my bike was damaged during shipping when I got it last year and those pegs that the screws thread into we're broken off. It wasn't until my new one came in yesterday that I saw the plastic pegs and then it all made sense. It had me confused because I couldn't see any way those screws would be long enough without those pegs. The dealership still had those screws i returned in house too so I just went back and picked em up. Thanks for your help man. Ps, I wonder if it's a common problem for those pegs to get broken off? I especially couldn't see them holding up to wheelies

#16 ·
No you will have to order the grommets separately. If you look under one of the Cowling sections you sill grommets that go into the front fairing stay. As far as washers go, I couldn't tell you as I don't know exactly what scews you need. But if there is no other part number shown then my guess would be no. But even if you did, a trip to the hardware store will solve that problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.