Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2004 R6 Died While Riding. HELP!

717 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  yamahacrazy 
#1 ·
Riding my R-6 yesterday it cut out on me in the middle of accelerating.
Attempted to restart it and all it would do is turn over but would not start.
Any ideas?
My neutral switch is bypassed (grounded to the frame), not sure if it has anything to do with it but when my neutral switch was connected, ANY time my bike went out of neutral, it would cut off previous to this incident (obviously with kickstand up and clutch engaged).
Neutral light is on still when it turns over, full tank of gas.
I am thinking there is a fault somewhere in the circuit cut-off relay but don't want to pay $60-$80 for a part unless I KNOW it needs replaced.
Thanks in advance for the help!

#3 · (Edited)
since it would kill the engine anytime you put it in gear your kickstand switch or wires are damaged.
I had a cut wire on mine. I couldn't see it because the thick rubber cover over the wires didn't look damaged. this is something youll have to test.

I assume you don't have a service manual and know how to enter into diagnostic mode.
download the manual from the link below. read the Fuel Injection chapter. it will show you how to enter diag mode. once there you can scroll to a test for the kickstand switch.
you'll know right away if the wire or switch is damaged. however finding out if it's a wire or the switch you will need a multimeter set to continuity test. touch one end of the wire with a test lead then the other end with the other test lead. the meter should beep if the wire isn't cut in half
R6 Service/Maintenance/Repair Manual - R6Messagenet.com

also, fix the wire to the N switch. hacking wires on FI vehicles only leads to more problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.