Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

03 R6 Dies if I try to idle

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  BISHILVR 
#1 ·
ok so i bought my R6 back in december used from a dealer. it had 4890 miles on it, it has no mods besides a two brothers slip on. The bike now has about 5100 miles on it. The other night i took it out for its first "longer" ride. it ran fine in town the last few days, and i took it out on the highway for about 30 miles, when i got to the gas station i pulled in the clutch and coasted to the pump and my bike died.

from then on for about an hour if i didnt physically give it gas while at idle it would die. occasionally it would kinda buck/jerk on acceleration but that smoothed out after a little bit and just continued with the dying. After I started home it ran fine on the highway and actually would idle crappily at stoplights.

and i havent rode since then

Im thinkin this has something to do with the pipe, maybe its making my bike flow better and making the bike run rich to compensate, and that in turn is just fouling the plugs and not letting idle well?

I talked to a bike shop owner, and he said to adjust the idle........I guess that could be it mabye???? but im kind of skeptical.......

could it be something with the fuel injection?
anyone else have this problem?
should i look into a power commander and get a slip on map for it?

help me out here!

See less See more
#4 ·
well, I guess i will save 250 bucks for now and try turning the idle up. THe idle screw is somewhere underneath the tank or somethin right? thats where the shop owner said it was. What all do i need to get to it? I assume you adjust it while running?

if that doesnt work then i guess its a pc for me!

#5 ·
Your idle screw atleast on my 02 is a little above your oil cap. It's a black nob. Turn it clockwise to turn up the idle and obviously counter to turn it down so you'll want to turn it right. You don't need anything to get to it if the r6's haven't changed over the years it should be easy to get to. From the sounds of it it's just your idle and should be fine. I know my roommate after he just cleaned his air filter oiled his airfilter down too much which caused his bike to not want to start etc ran kinda crappy but I don't think that's your problem.

#6 ·
no, dont think the air filter cause it has ran fine for many rides before this, but those were substantially shorter. Im guessing its the idle, Ive had a lot of people say they had the same problem.

Is there any way to keep this from happening again? did the idle screw just vibrate loose? what causes this to happen?

btw thanks for the input everyone!

#7 ·
BISHILVR said:
You really should have a power commander or similar on that bike. You can probably get by with turning the idle speed up.
WHAT?!?! are you serious?

check your filters, plugs, oil ect... tune ups can work wonders. my bike used to stall at idle, i knew i had a dirty air filter but i ignored it for 8K miles or so until i could get a bmc, suddenly bike ran fine :dunce: wonder why? might not be whats wrong with your bike though, but it couldnt hurt to check, and it might save you some money, as power commanders are pretty expensive.

#8 ·
bikes are bikes they all act and do their own things.. Their very sensative to tons of things. I've never had my idol vibrate or anything maybe it has. But I play with it and change it often. Might be the weather temperatures etc. I'd work on that first I mean why not it's a free fix won't cost you a thing.. Don't dump money into things unless you need to or want to. You'll learn to hear the little things in your bike after a while. You'll learn to hear when it's idoling good bad etc how much to turn twist your idol. I've before when just warming up my bike turned my idol up just a hair and brought it back down depending on how fast i wanted to heat up my bike. But once I start riding at stop lights etc. I usually will figure out where to set it for my riding that day. So play with it a little bit I'm thinking it's ur problem. Good luck with it.

#10 ·
I wouldn't mess with a power commander for just a slipon. Have you changed your coils? There is service bulletin out for 03's. The coils were shorting out against the block and causing the bike to miss. They should be covered by your local dealer. While you are in there, I'd recommend looking the plugs over. Make sure they are NGK cr10ek's. There is a nice how-to on www.r6messagenet.com

Another idea is that the gas in the bike might've gone bad over the winter. Did you put stabil in it before you stored it? Gas will go bad when left sit for several months. Chances are that a couple tanks of high test might clear that out. Keep us posted.

#11 ·
Manoah said:
WHAT?!?! are you serious?

check your filters, plugs, oil ect... tune ups can work wonders. my bike used to stall at idle, i knew i had a dirty air filter but i ignored it for 8K miles or so until i could get a bmc, suddenly bike ran fine :dunce: wonder why? might not be whats wrong with your bike though, but it couldnt hurt to check, and it might save you some money, as power commanders are pretty expensive.

Yes, actually I am. Just because YOU may not be able to afford one does not mean that it is not neccesary bud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.