Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Strange Charging Issue

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  tones160 
#1 ·
YZF R6

Hello R6 riders!

First off, when my stator, and rectifier are connected, the battery discharges itself when its off. Yesterday, afternoon my battery was at 11.3v, disconnected. I connected the the charging system and left it overnight, and this afternoon found it at 8.3v! No clue why.

Secondly, my bike is having charging issues. I've had this issue before, though I was able to fix it by replacing my burnt wires from the stator to the rectifier. The first video will show the battery at 11.6v on idle as well as two probes on the stator. Aac shows around 160.0, Vac shows around 1.5. Sorry, I was fiddling with the multi-meter, I don't know which setting it should be on.

The second video will show the probes on different leads, showing around the same reading, even while giving little throttle.

The last video is me testing the stator with normal readings, till around 0:39. It seems that there's a short on the stator. This is where it gets confusing. Yesterday, there was no connectivity with the frame! although a couple days ago there was! So it goes from one day its not conductive, to another it is.

At 2:00 I show a stator i purchased a couple days ago. I did swap out the stator but i still get the same readings on the battery so i swap the old one back in. Though I haven't check the AC current on the new stator.

Sorry, the camera fiddles around and off view, i only have 2 hands :p

Please halp! I made the videos to try to make it simple, as I'm not any gooder at writing.

If you need more info, let me know, or ask for a video request of something specific.

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, you need to test the stator with it UNPLUGGED from the rectifier. Otherwise, you will have readings that don't help. For instance, you will always show connection to the frame in Ohms....but only in one direction. When you swap the leads, it will go away. That is because the diodes in the rectifier let current flow in one direction, and it is connected to the frame. Same thing when testing the output, stator plug UNPLUGGED. You need to be in VAC, not Aac. You aren't checking Amps.

But by the look of it, I don't think your stator is putting anything out. But check it the right way, first. Follow this video

#3 ·
First of all, you need to test the stator with it UNPLUGGED from the rectifier. Otherwise, you will have readings that don't help. For instance, you will always show connection to the frame in Ohms....but only in one direction. When you swap the leads, it will go away. That is because the diodes in the rectifier let current flow in one direction, and it is connected to the frame. Same thing when testing the output, stator plug UNPLUGGED. You need to be in VAC, not Aac. You aren't checking Amps.

But by the look of it, I don't think your stator is putting anything out. But check it the right way, first. Follow this video
Alright. The stator did show healthy readings without the rectifier being plugged in when i was doing the swap. Considering that the rectifier being plugged, shows connectivity to the frame. I'm still not getting the VAC output readings that i need!

I do have an old video of the last time I was testing the VAC output and i was getting arround 10-11vac.

I can retested it again, but i did already swap the stator to no avail

#9 ·
So I was able to test the stator again, unplugged. Everything was normal. It wasn't beeping when I touched the frame. I even checked it with the rectifier connected to it, and there was no continuity with the frame either.

I was unable to check it while 5,000 RPM. Where I live I can't even do mechanical work. I will do it tomorrow, cause I need to. I predict the VAC meter won't move though.

#13 ·
I bought an GSXER's rectifier off ebay for around $30 and been riding the bike for a long time in hot weather conditions and has not given up on me at all...i went through 2 OEM rectifiers before buying this one lol...also u should work on the R/R plug before it melts too..spade connectors for the win :swordfigh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.