Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

02 electrical

1K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  booger 
#1 ·
02 r6. Been fighting demons for months on this bike. Could all be one issue or many small. Right now i get a bad 8 to 10k rpm skip. Comes put of it so its not like it flats out completely at that rpm. All lights flicker with directionals on. And im not getting more than 13.2 v at battery at 5k rpms. So after coils and new battery with a new stator and a good used rectifier I've done some more tests. Output leads red and black of reg/rec work as they should for voltage. Heading up to what i refer to as starter solenoid (with main 3o amp some may call relay) i get the 14 volts to one of the red wires at the plug. I assume iys the input. But dont get much over 12v at the other three. I believe ones red the other is red white and then blue white. I want to focus on the battery getting the correct voltage before i fix anything else. Question is could the solenoid itself be bad enough internally to cause yhe power loss issue or maybe something else? Fuses good. Bike fires right up. Plug looks clean at solenoid. No sign of burnt wires

#7 ·
I'm a bit confused... you said that the R/R output leads "work as they should for voltage". Does that mean you see over 13.5V there, but not at the battery? Those leads go directly to the battery, so if the voltage is different there's a bad wire or connection between those 2 things.

#12 ·
That's a problem. You should see 14V and it should be pretty steady across the rev range. Since you just put a new R/R in, it's probably a stator problem. Unplug the stator output (so the R/R is disconnected) and check the AC voltage across each wire pair (3 ways) with the engine running and holding the revs at about 5000rpm. If the stator is working properly you should see about 55V on all 3 pairs.

#13 ·
unplugging the r r would only give me battery readings because its not hooked up to the stator. im going to do the stator again tomorrow. i get a cutout at 8-10k rpms and my lights are an issue but i feel like they both could be contributed from not enough voltage.

#16 ·
To make sure we're talking about the same thing... when I say to unplug the R/R and check the DC voltage, I'm talking about the 5-wire harness on the output side. This is so the engine is running solely on the battery, and you're measuring the charging system output with nothing attached to it. If you get 14V there, you know the charging system is good and you can start looking for shorts and poor connections downstream.

its midnight here but im antsy. i wonder how the neighbors would feel if i got my r6 up to 5k rpms..... i mean its saturday... not like anyones gotta work
Glad I'm not your neighbor. :laugh Workday or not, I'm up early and in bed early.

I'm heading off to the track today so I won't be able to check back in on your progress until Tuesday. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.