Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2007 yamaha r6 sticky shifting.

503 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TTurnerco 
#1 ·
Hey I'm new on the forum and I've read through a lot of the post about shifting issues on the r6 but nothing like what I have. So here it is:

A few months ago I was hit head-on while on my r6. The brake rotor was destroyed my clipons were broken and my rear sets were broken, the rest of the damage looked to be body damage. The girl who hit me had no insurance so I'm at a complete loss for my bike so I'm attempting to rebuild it. So first i got a new clip on and light cluster fixed that. Took a grinder to the brake rotor and cut it off ( The main reason I cut it off instead of taking the wheel off properly was because I wanted to make sure the wheel wasn't bent so I wanted to leave the wheel and rim the way it was and ride it again and see if it wobbles.) I ordered a set of rear sets and fixed that once that was done I hoped on the bike and took it around the parking lot; as I already knew front brakes didn't work (had no rotor), and everything else seemed good. So I found a set of 2008 r6 rotors and went and bought them and installed them only difference from the old rotors to new were thickness change (old-4.5mm new-5mm.) While pulling the front wheel off the bike i noticed the axle was extremely difficult to get to come out which i thought was odd, due to the last time I removed the wheel It was fairly simple; anyways replaced the rotors and knew something was wrong bike wouldn't roll in neutral any more and the brakes no longer auctioned properly. I bleed the brakes at both ends still no change so i hop on the bike anyways and try to ride it and now that I finally get it on the road and can push the bike a little it shifts but extremely rough. So i check the oil and its low (before the wreck had no issues with shifting.) I check the stator cover and its cracked and leaking oil extremely slow. So i take the bike to the shop I ride it there since Im curios if anything else is going on when the bike is at low speeds its extremely rough to shift at higher speeds like 40+mph no issues shifting, but higher speeds theres a nasty wobble from the front of the bike.

So to now bike is at the shop they charge me for 2 hour diagnosis, brake fix, stator cover, and all the fluids. Also i bought a new front wheel because they said the wobble in the front wheel was due to it being cracked. Now the question they think that the clutch is my problem and are telling me the bike lurches with the clutch pulled in (I've never had that issue with the bike) they want to charge me $500 for a new clutch. Could the clutch issue be caused by the low oil issue???

Im in college and don't have a lot of money and I don't wanna spend a lot of money. If you would like to see photos I can post stuff thank you for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
The bike doesn't sound safe. I would say, cut your losses. You're lucky to be alive after a head on collision, no point dying because of a malfunction now. You might be able to part out a few things to get some money back.

Can't you sue the driver? I'm guessing you don't have the optional uninsured driver rider on your own insurance.....

#3 ·
I didn't have um or umpd because my previous bikes have been track bikes and I didn't think i needed it on them so when i transferred coverage to this bike they didn't even offer the um or umpd and i honestly didn't think about it.

And i am trying to sue the girl who hit me but she's filing bankruptcy right now she's 21 year old african american who just got out of prison and has a 2 year old daughter the judge told me I'm probably not getting anything out of her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.