Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Electrical/Ignition issue?

692 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Flyers28 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I currently have a 2007 r6 that is completely stock besides a slip on. Therefore the ECU is stock, the motor hasn't ever been modified in any way. Just passed 25000 miles.

Im having an issue with a couple things that I didn't think were related possibly until now.

Issue 1: When using my brights an extended period of time, they sometimes turn off. If I try and turn them back on, it won't for a little while. even if i restart the bike and turn them on. after about 45 seconds i flip the switch and they come right back on.

Issue 2: at certain times, the bike will completely stutter and have no power or at the worst one cylinder will stop firing. I have had this issue before and it was a coil, but now it seems to run perfectly fine most of the time and just randomly will fail like that.

Any ideas? thanks

#2 ·
Issue 1 could be a failing relay, or a sign of a battery going bad. The latter is easy to check, the former you can follow the steps in the service manual for testing relays. I am not saying that is definitely your problem but merely a place to start.

Issue 2 could be a fuel injector problem if you know your spark plugs and coils are all in good shape. If it's been awhile since you last replaced your spark plugs I'd say its time to pull them. But could be a sticking fuel injector. You can check the fuel injectors from the diagnostic menu and listen for the 5 clicks. Do this a couple times each cylinder and see if you here intermittent clicking (stuck injector), just don't go crazy with how many times you do each cylinder unless your going to start the bike up in between to burn off the fuel.

Those are just my suggestions.

Unrelated to your issues but with 25000 miles I have to ask if you had your vales checked? Your due for one if not.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response!

I was looking into the headlight issue today and it seems there may be a bad connection in one of the plugs as it sometimes turns it off if I move it in the wrong direction. Hopefully that's the only issue.

As for the second issue, I would agree that I need to change the spark plugs.I think there is a good chance that its the spark plugs, so I will pull those as soon as i can. Unfortunately, Im at university and have no tools here and shops are weeks behind. So it may have to wait a while...

You mentioned listening for five clicks on each injector. How do you test this? Is there a thread on this?

And as for the valves, they have been checked before but are getting checked again in the next month :)
thanks again

#4 ·
Ok yea a lose plug will do it.

Get the service manual here ->R6 Service/Maintenance/Repair Manual - R6Messagenet.com

Basically you go into diag mode (In case you never have...Main switch off, key off, hold select & Reset, key to on. Hold the buttons down till screen goes blank and I think says Diag Mode but I never pay attention enough to remember, then release and push both back in till your in diag mode.) Then find 36, flip switch to on and the check engine light will flash for each test of the injector which should click each time. Then you go to 37 and do the same, up to 39 for cylinder 4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.