Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Should I have used anti-seize?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  yamahacrazy 
#1 ·
About six months ago, I installed a set of GB Racing engine covers on my bike. Without thinking much about it, I followed the provided instructions and installed the covers. Remove a couple of the stock bolts, place cover on engine, install hardware provided by the manufacturer, torque to spec.Pretty basic. Nowhere in the instructions did it mention having to use anti-seize. Recently I found out the hardware GB Racing provides with their covers is a2 stainless steel, and I've been told stainless and aluminum don't really get along. I watched a couple videos online of guys installing these covers and the majority of them didn't use anti-seize either, so I don't know. Should I have used anti-seize initially ? And after having the covers on the bike for six months, do you think it's too late to remove the bolts, apply some anti-seize, and reinstall them? Or should I just leave it alone? I really appreciate any advice you can give me.

#4 ·
A lil wont hurt anything. Just dont over do it. Only problem with non-stock hardware is the cases tend to be very soft & the tapped holes tend to gall.
If you run the bike in rain ... its always a good idea to remove all the bolts so they dont get corroded.

and the best penetrating oil out there is transmission fluid mixed with acetone 50/50. Better than kroil!

#6 ·
You wont have issues. Anti seize is more for header bolts, spark plugs. Things that get really hot. Blue thread locker would be more appropriate for engine cases and covers. Thread locking compound isnt just for keeping bolts from losening. Its prevents them from being stuck due to corrosion and it lubes the threads to aid proper torque specs too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.