2007 r6 RPM Hanging - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

2007 r6 RPM Hanging

Hi all, new member here. I have searched and can't seem to find a thread that addresses my issue where the bike is fuel injected. Most of the rpm hanging threads I have found are on carbed bikes. There was one by Wanted that was started but I never saw the results of the solved issue on there. Any help would be appreciated, so here it goes.

I have a 2007 r6, 33k miles, had misfires and was running like crap and was dying from idle sometimes. Changed the plugs, runs alot better but still has misfire on cylinder 3 because right after changing the plugs I cranked for 10 seconds and all header pipes were hot except for #3. Haven't checked it again since but I can hear it missing when it's idling from a cold start, but gets a lot better as the bike warms up and after a ride it seems to idle perfectly. But when it cools down again and I crank it it will idle with a misfire again. Idk if this is related to my issue or not but I figured it could be so I wanted to explain that first. Now on to the rpm hanging.

I let it run up to about 140 degrees the other day and started giving it a constant rev to about 2k rpms. I will slowly twist the throttle until it finally starts to rev some, and then keep the throttle still. It will rev a little, then more, then more, and I'll back off three throttle and it will hesitantly bring the revs down to idle again. It has done this for a while when it was misfiring too so it peaked my curiosity and I did it a few more times. Then, all of a sudden it went from 2k rpms to 6k! And I back off the throttle and it stayed there at 6k for like 4 or 5 seconds! Then finally came down to idle again. It did this again right after that so I shut it off (wasn't gonna ride it like that). I went and got some seafoam since I figured my injectors needed cleaning anyway and that might be the number 3 misfire issue. Poured in some seafoam and let it idle for 20 minutes or so. I tried to make it do what it had done the day before by jumping to 6k rpms after letting the seafoam get into the system but it wouldn't do it. I rode it for a while and it acted fine but it does seam like the rpms hang a little. For instance when I quick shift, and pull in on the clutch, it revs a little as if I didn't let off the gas and then when I let the clutch back out it will jump a little from being revved. So they aren't going down as soon as I let off three throttle to shift like they used to. I was thinking throttle position sensor but I have only worked on carbed bikes before. I've worked on cars plenty too but not drive by wire yet like my r6 is so I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to check or do next as I don't want to start throwing parts and money at it if possible (already have more money in it than I figured I would). Sorry for being long winded, i just know its difficult to assess problems without being there to see or feel it so i tried to be as detailed as possible. Thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Any help guys?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 AM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange
Re: 2007 r6 RPM Hanging

33K do you know if valves were adjusted at all? or the throttle bodies sync'd? also check all the vacuum lines and check for any cracks etc, that could cause the idle to hang.

March 2014 Bike of the month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

The valves were done by the dealership by the last owner (my buddy) not too long ago, not sure exactly what mileage though. He has only had it since 15k miles so I'm assuming it was in the 20's that he had it done. I was wondering about vacuum leak too but it's very intermittent. I changed the plugs not long ago but I know I put everything on tight and I would think if there was a leak it would do it often, is that not correct? I haven't sync'd throttle bodies but will search on how to do that. Thanks so much for the response. I might need to take everything back and and check my hoses too since it started a little bit after changing the plugs where I had to remove some stuff. Thanks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 AM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange
Re: 2007 r6 RPM Hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp_5 View Post
The valves were done by the dealership by the last owner (my buddy) not too long ago, not sure exactly what mileage though. He has only had it since 15k miles so I'm assuming it was in the 20's that he had it done. I was wondering about vacuum leak too but it's very intermittent. I changed the plugs not long ago but I know I put everything on tight and I would think if there was a leak it would do it often, is that not correct? I haven't sync'd throttle bodies but will search on how to do that. Thanks so much for the response. I might need to take everything back and and check my hoses too since it started a little bit after changing the plugs where I had to remove some stuff. Thanks!
Yea retrace your steps and check over everything thoroughly also check for dry rot in the vaccum lines themselves, Im sure you will find the issue

March 2014 Bike of the month

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Awesome, thanks! Will post what I find if anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.