Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2006 R6 stalls during warm up

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Stealthy_Aban 
#1 ·
Hey guys, had this problem for awhile now and mostly neglected it because it only happens when the bike is warming up, but, every time the engine temp is less than ~150F (especially cold starts) the bike will idle for a little while as it warms up, then the idle will drop after about 2 minutes and stall out. When I start it back up I need to twist the throttle a little bit to get it to start back up. The issue disappears after the bike is warmed up completely, and will start up and idle perfectly fine once warm. Any ideas?

#4 ·
I had a similar problem with my 2009 R6. It only started after I put an MJS header and Power Commander 5 on. It would cold start and idle perfectly. It would also hot start and idle perfectly. But if it was just warming up for the first time of the day and I turned it off, it was tough to start without giving it some throttle as I worked the starter and then, kept working the throttle after it started. Within about five seconds, it would idle ok again.

I figured it had to do with the Power Commander. Anthony at Bauce Racing reflashed the ECU and the problem is much more infrequent, but still happens from time to time.

#6 ·
To my understanding, there is no manual idle adjustment on the 3rd gen R6's unlike the previous models. When I first bought my 2009, I had a problem with the bike not idling. It would just slowly stall out. My problem was caused by the bad battery I had in it. It idled perfectly when I threw a charged one in it. Is your battery definitely in good condition? If it's cold where you live, hook a battery tender up to it when you're not riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.