Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2006 R6S not starting

1K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  TheBFA 
#1 ·
I've already tried some searching, but it seems like most starting problems mentioned here are fuel related. I'm about to take a multimeter to the bike now, but if someone could chime in with some info, it could help save me some time, as I'm not mechanically familiar with this bike.

The battery is brand new, about a month and a half old. I havent checked the rectifier thinking if I have charging issues after the new battery, then I'd address it. The starting problem I have doesnt appear to be fuel or charging system related. I just hear a loud click under the seat, with no electrical load apparent with the dash lights. I dont think its a side stand switch issue either because when in gear with the stand down, there isn't even a click. I just think the starter isnt getting a signal or just stopped working.

I'm just wondering if there is a common or somewhat common failure either with the starter relay or starter itself. Just before this happened, there was a big storm here and my bike stays outside (I'm staying in a campground) and the seat doesn't seem to shield the battery compartment very well, so I'm wondering if water intrusion may have affected something. I still rode it to work and back, but had to push start it every time and it ran fine once started.

If anyone with experience in this particular situation has any info, I'd really appreciate it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Try rolling the engine over by hand. Remove the small round cover on the right side. (see attached photo---- red arrow pointing at the round cover) Behind it is a 19 or 19 mm bolt attached to the crankshaft, You should be able t spin the motor somewhat freely.....clockwise as you are looking at the bolt. There will be some resistance from compression, but the resistance should feel "soft" and inconsistent. Not like a hard stop. If it doesn't move. back it up counterclockwise a little bit and then try again. If it comes to a hard stop, you have a mechanical issue.

Attachments

#5 ·
I'll check them out next but the fuses on the relay are good. I jumped my volt meter from the black wire on the relay to the frame and shows 12.1 volts when I hit the start button. I'm trying to locate the starter motor now. What looks like the motor has a screw loose on the housing for some reason. Do you happen to know if this is the starter motor about 4 inches in front of the shift linkage? I couldn't find anything with the location of it while searching. The microfiches only show the starter motor on its own.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm pretty sure it's the starter now. Just took the fairings off and tapped the starter with a wrench while hitting the start switch and it finally made some noise, but definitely sounds sick. Doesn't look like much room to work with but I guess my next step is pulling it out. I'm sure installing the new one is going to be even worse haha.

#8 ·
Took the starter motor out and kept it hooked up and grounded it out on the frame and gave it a few tries. It was intermittent with tapping it. I went ahead and took it apart and it looks pretty awful. The top brush doesn't have much left and I think that's a bearing on the back of the case and not just a bushing. It doesnt spin either way. I knocked all the dust from the brushes out and worked the brushes in and out a little and put it back together and hooked it back up and it came alive when hitting the start switch. But it definitely screams like a dragging bearing. I bet that loose bolt on the case had something to do with it not keeping it sealed and allowed too much moisture in there.

Good thing is it only took me about 20 minutes to get it out! I tooks pics and may do a write up because I think I got it out about as easy as it could have been done. Took the tank off without disconnecting anything and laid it sideways on a big box and cut a hole in the insulation right above the starter motor bolts to get to them. I can't figure out how to attach more than one pic at a time with my phone so I'll have to do it in multiple posts.

Attachments

#14 ·
Anyone have experience getting one rebuilt? There's a place nearby that says they can rebuild any alternator or starter. I've seen ones online for under $90, but I'm guessing getting it rebuilt would be cheaper. They aren't open until Monday so I can't find out yet. I could place an order today and get one through Amazon, but for some reason Im feeling I'd prefer a rebuilt OEM one with a warranty over a discount cheap one, especially if its cheaper. I actually have the bike up for sale and wondering if one sounds better than the other to potential buyers.

#17 ·
The odometer says 43k so it's been started a few times haha. I checked the armature for continuity and shorts and it's good, so I'm wanting to rebuild it myself. Just can't get Amazon to recognize the address of the RV park I'm in or the shop I'm working out of right now.

I called one place about rebuilding it and they said it could be $50- $110 which sounds ridiculous. The kits are only $13, and that's even with a new brush plate so you don't even have to pull the brushes out, and come with all the seals, the rear bushing, and the needle bearing on the front. The hardest part is probably just getting the old bushing out. If that bushing comes right out, it'll take literally less than 5 minutes, 10 with some thorough cleaning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.